Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does HDC work going backwards? You, know, like if someone were to go up a steep hill, chicken out and want to back down. Not me, of course; I'm just asking for a friend .. :D

· Registered
528 Posts
I like the way you think plastic...

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
yes I belive it does work backwards now that I think about it. I remember someone mentioning that if you are doing a really steep climb or something you could turn it on in case you fail so you can back down stabley.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Isn't it supostu be in gear 1 on the selector for the HDC to be activated ? So if you are in R that's just like in D. So I think it might not work . But Some one with nice steep drive way should try it :) . Unfortunatly my driveway is flat as it can be .

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
it says in the owners manual that is DOES work in reverse!!! there you go!

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Reverse Braking

I don't know how much off oading you do and how your truck is set up, but I would never suggest backing out of a difficult situation using Hill Desent. ABS braking system can't hold there own by them selves without alot of sliding. I shut down my ABS to retain as much stopping power as possible on rough trails.
Just for what it is worth.
Good luck,
Mike J.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discovery - It works in all four forward gears and reverse in lo range. And even in neutral while you are rapidly shifting from 1st to reverse on that cliff that you just discovered that you cannot climb. It's about 2mph too fast though. Hardly ever use it - just stay in 1st lo range and cdl locked.

Freelander - 1st and reverse. It's about 3mph too fast, but helps.

· Registered
84 Posts
I read somewhere that the "speed limits" on the HDC can be changed on the fly with the +/- button of the cruise control system on the RHS of the steering wheel.
Don't know if it works.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Hill control???? What is that for....just hold on, it's more fun.... LOL just kidding...... I believe it works

· Registered
97 Posts
Quote from P76: when you are reversing down a hill under engine braking. The traction control, for some reason, wants to lock up the front wheels. With a CDL, this also results in braking to the rear. Without a CDL, it means that the front wheels lock up and lose traction while the backs remain turning and have traction. This can cause the front to want to pass the back and cause the car to spin sideways on the hill.

I've personally never experienced this situation, but it certainly sounds possible. Something to keep in mind when backing down a hill, especially so if you do not have a locked CDL.

· 2002 Discovery II SE
578 Posts
I can confirm it works in reverse. It also only works in LOW RANGE. Push it in high range and it just beeps at you like your an idiot.

The question is, can you shift from forward to reverse fast enough if you start coming back down?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.