Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to all iam a new to this ive got a 109 1978 my first landy ive done loads to her its had its first major drive 30miles to day from wear i work and all seems to be ok apart from steering wander and she holds back when you go over half throttle shes got a 2 1/4 d any idears please :drive:

·
Registered
317 Posts
log burner,
Fix that steering wander right away, it's a safety issue. Check your tie rods and tie rod ends as well as the preload on the swivel pins.

As far as the throttle, can you actuate the mechanism on the carb all the way? See if you can isolate it to either the carb linkage, the gas pedal, or the linkage between the two...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
361 Posts
Your wander might be that the steering relay needs some oil. Take 2 bolts out of the top (I find front & back work best, a 5/16 nut driver works best.) and put 90w in one of them, the other acts like a vent. When oil comes out the vent, put the bolts back in. It will only take a table spoon or so of oil.

And as mentioned, tie-rod ends might be worn.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Greg S brings up a good point too...and that reminds me of something...a new rover owner came over a while back complaining of loose steering. So we jack his truck up and check all the steering linkages. It turned out that the drop arm off of the steering relay was hand loose.

So, also, jack the thing up to take all the resistance off of the system and see if you can move anything in the steering easily. Have a pal turn the wheel while you watch for slop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.