Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hook up my MP3 player to the stereo system in my '95 Classic LWB. I think the best way to do this is add a line-in connection to the amplifier somehow. At present I broadcast to FM but the fidelity isn't as good as I would like.

Has anyone done this or have any pointers or advice?

Thanks,
Jurgen

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a 92 Classic with the a/d/s system-your 95 has harman / kardon? Mine has a large amp in front of the subwoofer which drives only the sub-In the front doors, there are individual amps for the speakers in that door. Finally, I think the roof rear speakers are driven by the main stereo unit. Maybe yours is different, but I doubt it. My 95 4.0SE has 5 amps: 1 for the sub, and then one in each door to power the 10 speakers. If you lined it in, it would have to be to each amp. The only option (maybe) is to use the CD cable as an input at line level-you would have to splice the two channels into the left / right line in the CD cable. Then, the stereo would still be playing CD's but the sound would be from the MP3 player. That would be the best fidelity. Easy solution: Buy one of those tapes with a headphone jack that can plug right into your MP3 player, for like $10-20. (The kind that come in the "car kit" for CD players) I bought one at Radio Shack and the sound quality isn't bad-but only if the mp3 recording is at 128k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...I had a feeling it might not be a simple answer.

I'm going to splice a switch with two inputs at the CD player and plug the MP3 player into an input there, with the existing CD out being the other. The existing CD out is the output of the switch box. The box will be up front so I can easily switch CD->MP3.

By doing this, selecting inputs for other bands at the front panel will still be meaningful. Now all I need is time. I my actual implementation/experience is different I'll post!

- Jurgen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Troverman,

is any of your a/d/s amps the ph11/rr? I have bought one to experiment with but can't seem to find information on them on the internet...

bye,

Dodo (1994 classic vogue European)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Schadeam - info please

like i said in the thread, if you have ANY questions, let me know! the amp is a decent place, but putting the line in towards the stereo allows you or your passenger better access during trips.
I just bought a 93 with the a/d/s also. I want to replace the 7 1/4" woofer in the stock box and I stall the ph15 6 channel amp I have, run the sub off ch 5-6 and the rest of the car on ch 1-4. I have replaced the stock 4" everywhere. Do you know if a square shallow Kicker DVC woofer will fit? Do you know how to go from the ph11 with the consolidated plugs to the separate channels on the ph15?

Also, Roverville will install a direct connect mp3 jack that comes on when plugged in and operates on its own function. Any idea how they do that? I don't mind paying but having to remove my head unit, ship it and then pay $141.00 is steep.

I am having the hardest time getting information on any of this from anyone.

Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.