Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1998 Range Rover HSE 4.6 is getting a hot electrical smell Intermediately. This has been going on for the last 2 weeks. I have not noticed wether the smell is there with the use of any electronic devises. the smell comes on when the windows are open or closed. There has been no visible smoke and every funtion of the car seems to be working normally.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
As all circuits in cars are pretty well fused after the fuse box, that is if there is a s short a fuse will blow no smell. A smell might indicate that it is either an unfused circuit to the fuse box or a badly installed aftermarket accesory that is un fused.Both of those would only provide you with a smell once not on an intermitent smell, unless it was a high current supply, ie from the alternatior to the battery, or battery to the starter but both of these would cause other problems in the car. Have you started using the heater recently as the temprature has dropped? I know that for the first few times I use my heater in winter it give of a bretty bad smell for the first few weeks. Or try checking you battery next time you smell the smell it is possible that you alternator has a fault and is causing you battery to over charge giving you a rather potent smell.
Hope this helps I am sure some one else will have a sugestion of other things to look for.
Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion

I had a look at the Battery and the terminals are very corroded. I may replace the Battery today and see if there is any deference. I can always use a spare battery anyway.

Also, there are no aftermarket accessories on this truck at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Electrical smell

my 1998 4.0 was doing the same thing. I found out in my case the black plastic firewall cover near the top of the firewall was dropping little pieces of itself onto my exhaust manifold, then burning up and causing an electrical plastic burning smell. It started after I rinsed off the engine, apparently loosening some of the old plastic on the piece. Weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not fixed yet

I changed the battery today, (i will use the old one as a back up for my boat), and the problem still seems to be there. I will check the firewall suggestion tommorow. I do appreciate any help.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fog ligths now out

I was away for a week so nothing was done with the car. I drove it today and have now found that the foglights are out and the smell does not seem to appear. Previously (yesterday) the fog lights were working and I was getting the smell. I am about to check the fuse, but was wondering if this makes anysense to anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Hi Graham,

I Don't have a hayne's or workshop manual for the P38. :dunno:
Lets assume you find the fuse blown and find out if the fuse feeds only the Fogs, if not the fault could be on any other of the loads.
Is the Fogs a factory Fit Item (I am taking it is the Front Fog Lights)?
If the fuse only feeds the fogs and you can run without them do it for a few days to make sure the smell goes away and it is not coincident.
We may be able help further once we know the status of your fuses. :drive:

regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fog light fuse?

Well so far the smell has disappeared with the fog lights going out. The fog lights are the factory units. I have looked in my owners manual and cannot find any mention the these lights are fused. Does anyone know if and where a fuse for these lights are?
I added a pic which shows the off road lights as well as the factory fog lights which are located on the lowere valance.
 

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
I am going to guess that the burning smell was the relay getting fried.
No smell and no lights tells me that the circuit is broken in there somewhere.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top