Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Poseur, Rice Boi
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that its normal for the gear selector/shifter to get warm, or even hot at times.... but damn, mines been getting HOT lately. Its used to only do it after the rig has been under strain for long periods, but now its doing it more often. The last time I change the tranny fluid, I did over fill a bit. This wouldnt cause it though, would it? How hot is too hot?

Oh... I did remove the insulation out of the center console around the shifter to work on the CDL linkage, but that was a while back.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Is it early or late Disco 1? the R380 box is getting hot if the unproper oil is used in it and the bigger the tyres are the hotter it gets due to the extra load on the drive train.... happened to me on my D2 with R380 when i used some "alternative" oil recommended by a seller instead of the MTF94 and had bigger tyres...i could have warmed up a pie in the cubby box, it became normal again(which means warm not hot) when i filled it with the correct oil(Texaco MTF94) and refitted the std dimension tyres. I know nothing about how the earlyer LT77 box is behaving

1 - 4 of 4 Posts