Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m new to the site and have a few questions . I have a 97 Land discovery 4x4 and my parking brake handle gets hot and once released to the down position it turn my car of completely. Can some one please help me find the issue

·
Registered
195 Posts
I recall seeing this problem discussed on this or another forum a few years ago. The diagnosis was that an electrical ground connection somewhere under the center console was faulty and an electrical circuit was somehow grounding itself through the parking brake mechanism. It sounds wacky to me, but that might also explain why the engine shuts off when you fully release the parking brake.

I see this is your first post. Welcome to this forum. Where do you live? Perhaps someone on this forum lives near you and can help you. If not, we might be able to help you find an independent Land Rover shop near you that has a good reputation. This is obviously not something you want to delay getting fixed. I don't want to scare you but it could possibly lead to a fire. Please let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in Lompoc California, there not that many mechanic shops out here so I’m taking the time to try and figure it out on my own .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Try searching this forum and also another Land Rover forum linked below. By the way, you posted here in the Discovery Series II forum. You may get better results in the Discovery Series I forum here, which is what your '97 is.

landroverforums.com - Discovery I forum

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just did a Google search (parking brake hot landroverforums) and the first search result is linked below.

Really scary stuff. The picture of the interior of a truck after it went up in flames should get your attention.

It says that if the grounding cable or strap from the engine to the frame is not doing its job the system will find the next least path of resistance, which is somehow through the parking brake handle. Even if the engine ground connections look okay they should be removed, cleaned and reattached to ensure they're making a good connection.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would not drive the truck until this is sorted out. Perhaps there is a mobile mechanic who can come to you. On the Discovery Series II there is a 1" wide braided steel strap that is bolted to the rear of the cylinder head on the driver's side that is bolted at the other end to the firewall. It's just a few inches long but can be difficult to reach. I expect the Series I Discovery may have the same setup. I'd start there if I were you. Good luck, and please post updates here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here’s a pic of the braided steel strap at the back of the engine in my truck. If your truck has the same strap, make sure the connections are clean and tight.

E8851E91-D379-4F24-91F0-44817EE42231.png

·
very disco
481 Posts
Lol, just another hit and run? Lots of people join, skip the new member forum and ask a question, then never follow up.
I’d like to think that she’s not burnt to a crisp in her disco somewhere

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank for the help, I’m contacting my mechanic so i can get it up and running . Sorry for the delay

·
very disco
481 Posts
No pressure lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts