Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Disco with a starting problem that only seems to happen when it is HOT. Typically really hot. When I turn the key I get nothing, not even a click. The vehicle can be roll started (given I'm on a hill). Or, I can wait for it to cool down and then turn the key. Any thoughts?

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
starter problem all the way.

Its called popping the clutch especially on a standard.

My brother had an old Honda civic that did the same thing. We got used to pushing it for a while to pop the clutch and get it started

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ok hunsrover, here's a stab at your problem. We have a 96 also and had the same problem with start up. In our case, the truck would be dead sometimes first thing in the morning or when the engine was warm or hot but just shut off to refuel or whatever. There was no obvious pattern in our case - sometimes (90% of the time) 'Stumpy' would fire up normally, sometimes not. The dealer finally admitted that the problem was with the alarm system interaction with the ECU. Apparently the alarm deactivation signal was not getting to the ECU so the vehicle remained disabled. The truck was under warranty but they couldn't figure it out. Finally, they told us to pull out the ignition key, reinsert it & turn to the point where the fuel pump comes to life, wait a second or two and then crank. Sure enough, when we did the start up procedure more slowly, all was well. Sometimes my wife said she had to remove the key and reinsert it several times but I never figured out if this was a metaphor to spice up our love life!!! (I'm a little slow sometimes!)

It seems unlikely that your problem has the same source, but next time the Disco won't start, yank the key and reinsert.......can you hear the fuel pump start up or is the entire system 'dead'? (it could be an ignition key problem, or an alarm signal to the ECU problem)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.