Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone help?
I got home last night in my '93 Defender 90 TDi and found that the transfer gearbox was really hot.

This is the first time I have noticed this (not really checked it before).

Is this common or as I would expect, should it be warm rather than hot?

If this heat not right then any clues as to what it could be?

Richard

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Richard,
This could be pretty normal and to be safe why don't you change the t/c oil, screen it for metal and you will probably be fine.
Mike J.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Same thing

I found about a year and a half ago that mine runs quite hot as well.
I have Changed the oil twice now just to make sure that there are no problems. The first oil drain looked a little funny but there was no metal or anything, it was not water just looked odd. The second drain done about 20 or so thousand later and the oil still looked like new still no metal, and no funny looks.
I just figured that it run hot. even hotter on a 34 to 40 deg day traveling on the high way.
Adam

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Consider up-grading your gear oil for the t/case as well as the diffs. to a 75W/140 gear oil. This can reduce wear and noise.

·
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,t
306 Posts
I can not hold my hand very long on my D 1 transfer gearbox,after a 20 mile drive at freeway speed. I will use my infrared thermometer to check the temp & post on sunday.;)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If it is not making noise, it is normal, if you want to cool it a little, go to the heavier gear oil.

·
Like's ROVER ride's ,agitating,pimping poodle's ,t
306 Posts
after 21 miles at 65-70 mph,Temp 136 lucas 75/140;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts