Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
My river crossings seem to be getting deeper on each outing, each time I push it a little deeper! This photo taken last week the water measured in at about 36" deep. :eek: The RR made it without even a splutter :buttrock:
I had to dry the carpets out the next day though! :mad:

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a snorkle,(lots of creek crosssings in the Rocky mountains) just wondering about the pro's & con's of having one fitted???

Also, anyone else have any good water crossing photos / experiences they want to share?

:drive:
Andy

·
Registered
238 Posts
Snorkels deliver cooler air to the engine, this is ment to be a plus ( cooler air being denser providing more O2 for the big bang). With the air intake being higher it provides cleaner air (not as much dust ). But best of all try this with out one. Just watch out for the bad Aussie accent.
Adam

·
Registered
674 Posts
BAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not bad for an ISUZU!!!!!!

That is one awesome bit of advertising....it did make me wonder if the truck was actually running when it was floating around like that - but I guess it must have been 'cause otherwise water would have gone up the exhaust into the manifold!

Having had an old g60 Nissan with one back home in Perth I can say that crossing the Fitzy up north would never be possible without one. However I seem a little more sane (old age) these days and going up to the door sills is the limit for me.

However I can definately recommend these! One other thing to consider is waterproofing your dizzy (Distributor) - easiest way is a baggie with zip ties. Another good way is to put petroleum jelly all around the seals...it repels water real good.

HAVE FUN! :drive:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Surprised the Trooper could do that. I'm sure it was a diesel though. Watch some Land Rover Camel Trophy videos. You'll see Defenders and Discos in water even deeper than that! With a gas you have to watch out for electrics, but Rovers are very good in water. As for your Range Rover Classic, the level you are at is probably fairly safe. Driving steadily across means the water level in the engine compartment is lower than outside the car, Just make sure to change diff / trans / t-case fluids plus engine oil more often. Some Land Rovers have driven in water over the hood level without a snorkel, but its not reccommended.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey - No fair

130CC said:
Snorkels deliver cooler air to the engine, this is ment to be a plus ( cooler air being denser providing more O2 for the big bang). With the air intake being higher it provides cleaner air (not as much dust ). But best of all try this with out one. Just watch out for the bad Aussie accent.
Adam
I have a brand new computer - 2 weeks old - and when I click on the files I get the audio portion - but some sort of randomized video swirls (randomization?) I wanna see it to!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Couple of other points:

In lieu of messing under th ehood, an ol' trick I used to use back in OZ was to sttrap a tarp - plastic ones work best - to the front of the ol work hose, over the grill and the whole front end...then ya just keep the bow wave rolling along and through you go.

Also, if you plan on doing a lot of these excursions with fish you should invest in the snorkels that allow hook up of your tranny, diffs etc with their own breather hoses, otherwise like OK said you will be forever draining and repalcing fluids....
HAVE AT IT MATE! :drive:

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Do you have to replace the silicone often. I did this last time I messed with plugs and when the heater supply hose failed it was squirting right on the distributor giving me fits. I thought I was covered, I guess not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wading plug.....

Hey thank for all your replies, lots of good info.
The Trooper video is just unreal!!

I have a couple of final questions why we are on this topic;

How many of you crawl under your RR's & put in the bellhousing plug before water crossings? I know its recommended, I even still have the plug in its "spare" place in the housing all ready to move accross into the drain hole...
but the thought of crawling under the RR in the mud and moving into the drain hole & then getting back under there & removing the plug after the water crossing didn't excite me too much.

Also, has anyone had success in making a "homemade" snorkle? I know people have done it for Series trucks & they have looked pretty good & worked well.
The prices for the market snorkles are just a wee bit high for my budget right now!

Anyhow, thanks again for all the good info,
cheers,
Andy :drive:

·
Registered
19 Posts
snorkel for RR

130CC said:
Adam
So has anybody found a snorkel for a rangie? That ARB page only lists snorkels for discos and defenders

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chick Magnet said:
So has anybody found a snorkel for a rangie? That ARB page only lists snorkels for discos and defenders.
I know it's a Toyota, but the concept is easily adaptable to most vehicles: Snorkel Link

This only provides how to relocate your air intake to the firewall. Instead of making the bend go back into the engine compartment, have it go out through the fender, then up the A pillar. Be creative. Remove the factory airbox/filter, put a K&N cone filter on the top of the snorkel tube. You could even install one of those in-line ram-air blowers to ensure increased airflow.

Now to be insane, put an 11" intercooler into the mix (if done inside the engine compartment, attach a couple computer box fans). Don't forget your boost guage, because you know that 1-2 extra PSI is gonna make the difference getting out of a flowing river.... :buttrock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.