Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm normally the one pressing the pedal. :D I just rebuilt my master cylinder and I'm going to attempt to bleed the brakes tomorrow morning. Dot 4 break fluid? Any recommended brands? I'm doing a full flush of the brakes to have clean fluid along with my freshly sealed master cylinder... I'm hitting myself on the head for not getting SS brake lines. :bawling:

· certified idiot
694 Posts
I usually use Pentosin super dot 4 when I flush my system

and this brake bleeder helper

the landy has a bit of an unusual bleeding sequence but I follow it and have not had a problem - picture from RAVE attached

Attachments

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Have you never bled brakes before?
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder first, if not you need to.
Vavoline DOT 4 works well and you'll need 2 quarts to do it right.
You may want to bleed the lines from the master cylinder first by loosening the fittings from the M/C to the module, then bleed the entire system.

· Registered
83 Posts
Dane,

Follow that rave manual order.

I use the harbor freight bleeder link on the website, and it works really well if you have a compressor handy.

If not the old 2 person pump does the trick.

Mike is right about bench bleeding that cylinder, he probably can walk you through the process.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to bench bleed it, ericthecarguy from YouTube taught me how, haha. Ill loose the lines to the module and bleed that first then. And 2 quarts should do the trick? I want to completely flush the system and have clean fluid in there.

· Registered
6 Posts
Brake fluid flush.

Dane, Eric here: I'll be tackling the same project as well. I'm going to be installing new brake rotors, lines, and pads (front and back), shortly. I went with a set of S'S brake lines purchased from British Atlantic, R1 Concepts drilled and slotted brake rotors, and ceramic brake pads. I'll be painting the calipers as well, a nice cherry red. I purchased a pneumatic brake bleeder from Harbor Freight (item #92924), for only $22.00, after the discount. Was reading the reviews, which were pretty good, and decided to give it a try. You have to have an air compressor though. If not, you'll need to do it the buddy system way. Will let you know how it turns out. Will post pictures of the installation, when I start it. Good luck!

· Registered
83 Posts
Dane, Eric here: I'll be tackling the same project as well. I'm going to be installing new brake rotors, lines, and pads (front and back), shortly. I went with a set of S'S brake lines purchased from British Atlantic, R1 Concepts drilled and slotted brake rotors, and ceramic brake pads. I'll be painting the calipers as well, a nice cherry red. I purchased a pneumatic brake bleeder from Harbor Freight (item #92924), for only $22.00, after the discount. Was reading the reviews, which were pretty good, and decided to give it a try. You have to have an air compressor though. If not, you'll need to do it the buddy system way. Will let you know how it turns out. Will post pictures of the installation, when I start it. Good luck!
That bleeder is great, the only issue I have with mine is knowing if all of the air is out of the line. When you use it you will see what I mean.

Also can't tell of that candy red is a joke or not?!

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Used the buddy system, it was a pain in the ass trying to have my girlfriend do it.... she kept complaining about her leg getting tired. I ended up thanking her profusely and taking her out to dinner (in her car), then called my brother to help me get the rest of the air out, lol. But now the rover is back on the road at least. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.