Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys. My grease gun will not shoot grease into the new front driveshaft. Looking at the zerks it looks like there is a BB in the zerk which may need to be pushed down to get it to accept grease.

Never seen anything like this. Do I need a special grease gun?

Thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is exactly what I did. Maybe I need to push the ball bearing back for the first time just loosen it up. Will try again.

But off to see Mission Impossible now. Will worry about it later.

· Registered
3,198 Posts
What does the zerk look like?
These?

Or this?

You don't need to do anything special to new zerks for them to take grease.

· Registered
3,198 Posts
It looks like the top picture. Looks standard to me but I do not remember a ball bearing in the opening before.
They al have those, it's a check valve.
You just need to make sure the tip of the grease gun snaps on.

you might need a better grease gun, one like this.

They produce 10,000psi pressure, whereas the one you're using isn't more than 5,000.
But if it's really a new propshaft the one you have should be fine. It's possible it's just a defective zerk. Are you able to get any in the other fittings?

· Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. I started with the zerk on the universal joint and just got a pool of grease outside the zerk. Then I moved to the zerk on the driveshaft and got the same result. Looks like nothing went inside either zerk. New greasegun that originally had just a metal tube; I inserted the rubber line to make it easier to use. Wonder if the rubber line is the problem? The tip snapped on; in fact I had a problem getting it off - pried it off with a screwdriver. However, now that I think about it, I would not say it fit snugly after it popped on. Do not remember how it is supposed to feel - is it supposed to be a pretty tight, airproof fit? Might be the problem - it just does not fit right - good old Pep Boys tool.

Sometimes nothing is easy. Even just greasing a joint. Hate to but might just take it to my indie and ask him to shoot grease into it.

· Registered
356 Posts
need a better grease gun.. my cheap one from napa has to be aligned just right with just the right pressure otherwise it just squirts out the side

· Registered
3,198 Posts
The one I pictured is a Lincoln I got at Northern Tool. Model# 1142, $30.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.