Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I pulled into the garage to fill up... handed over the keys and the attendant gave them back when he was done. I may or may not have swiped the little ignition lock thing over the steering column.. can't remember to be honest.... and nothing!

The key turns all the way but no crank sound... not even a click like from a faulty starter motor.

The next half hour was spent locking the doors with the remote, unlocking them, then using the ignition lock thingo and still nothing! I was about to put it in neutral and roll into a parking spot when hey presto! She turns over and fires straight away....

Is there a system for starting these things? Do they get upset if you forget to swipe the ignition lock over the steering column? My manual is in french.

PS Loveing the Car otherwise! On the road a week now and it's the best thing to drive around Beirut!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Beirut_Rover said:
I may or may not have swiped the little ignition lock thing over the steering column.. can't remember to be honest.... and nothing!
What's that, some kind of vodoo ritual?

Most likely your brake switch is going. On the brake pedal there are two switches, the top is the brake switch (to make sure you are in Park before starting the engine) and the bottom one is for the cruise control. If your switch breaks and you can't get it fixed or you don't have the part all you need to do is find a small section of wire and jump two of the connectors on the plug (I can't remember the color of the wires but I'm sure in an emergency you'll be able to figure it out). Once you jump the wires you'll be able to start her.

I always carry an extra switch with me. I think they cost around $40 here in the US at the dealer (we have them for less, shameless plug ;) )

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John C said:
I always carry an extra switch with me. I think they cost around $40 here in the US at the dealer (we have them for less, shameless plug ;) )

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thanks John... if it happens again I will try your emergency fix. Finding parts here is not so bad... but finding someone who can sell them to you in English is much harder! So.... would you guys ship to Lebanon if I ever need anything?? Worth Asking :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Of course we would ship. We have customers in Japan, Phillipines, Venezuela, Argentina and Spain.

Next time it happens see if you can turn the ignition to the 2 position (all lights should be on the dash but engine should be off) and try to move the transmission from P to D.... if that works than the switch is ok.

You could also have a problem with the ignition cyl..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John C said:
Of course we would ship. We have customers in Japan, Phillipines, Venezuela, Argentina and Spain.

Next time it happens see if you can turn the ignition to the 2 position (all lights should be on the dash but engine should be off) and try to move the transmission from P to D.... if that works than the switch is ok.

You could also have a problem with the ignition cyl..
Yes you can move the transmission so it must be something else. Are you allowed to post your website here for me? :)
Thanks John!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
My website is on the top of the page, I'm one of the PROUD sponsors for LRO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I think it has to do with the key in the ignition a couple times I have had that problem and even a few times started and none of the electronics would work lights radio etc.. like it was still off. I shut it off took key out put it back in made sure it was in good started it everything worked fine...

Anyways.. jut my 2cents.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
My Gremlin works a bit differently...

Beirut_Rover said:
Thanks!
Anyone else got any ideas?
My none start gremlin works like this.

First of all, you put the the ignition key in and get it into the second position (pre-start). All of the indicator lights should illuminate. Sometimes the Check Engine light says off. If the Left Hand Yellow Check Engine is off when you start, the D1 wont start. It happens occasionally with me. I just turn the car back to off for a few seconds and then turn it back on. Check Engine light on then start.

My five cents here.

Adam in NYC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adam in NYC USA said:
My none start gremlin works like this.

First of all, you put the the ignition key in and get it into the second position (pre-start). All of the indicator lights should illuminate. Sometimes the Check Engine light says off. If the Left Hand Yellow Check Engine is off when you start, the D1 wont start. It happens occasionally with me. I just turn the car back to off for a few seconds and then turn it back on. Check Engine light on then start.

My five cents here.

Adam in NYC
Thanks Adam! Just one quick question.. what does the check engine light look like?? My manual is in French! :mad: While we are on the subject.. what light is one that looks like a "!" inside a circle? I thought this might be the handbrake light but it might be the one you are talking about as it seems to go on and off sometimes... even while driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Beirut_Rover said:
Thanks Adam! Just one quick question.. what does the check engine light look like?? My manual is in French! :mad: While we are on the subject.. what light is one that looks like a "!" inside a circle? I thought this might be the handbrake light but it might be the one you are talking about as it seems to go on and off sometimes... even while driving.
It's the light that says "vérifiez le moteur". If you brake light goes on and off then you need to check the fluid level. The check engine light is the one to the top far left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
might sound stupid, but if its an automatic, ensure that it is in park. I spent 5 minutes trying to get my keys out one time and couldnt figure it out lol. Looked down and it was a fraction off from being completly in park. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phlawed said:
might sound stupid, but if its an automatic, ensure that it is in park. I spent 5 minutes trying to get my keys out one time and couldnt figure it out lol. Looked down and it was a fraction off from being completly in park. Just a thought.
Thankfully I am not quite that mechanically ignorant :)
I have an interesting igntion lock/alarm system that I thought might be standard but when I mentioned it before people thought it was some kind of vodoo ritual (see earlier in the post)
You have to swipe this little electronic tab thing over the steering column before you can start the car... does anyone else have this or does no-one know what I am talking about? I thought the problem may be with that... It has not happended again yet... thankfully! :)

Thanks for the manual!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Beirut_Rover said:
Thankfully I am not quite that mechanically ignorant :)
I have an interesting igntion lock/alarm system that I thought might be standard but when I mentioned it before people thought it was some kind of vodoo ritual (see earlier in the post)
You have to swipe this little electronic tab thing over the steering column before you can start the car... does anyone else have this or does no-one know what I am talking about? I thought the problem may be with that...

Thanks for the manual!
I haven't seen it in the US. I know in other countries they have something similar built into the key. Could it be the battery in the remote? I know my brother had the same problem in his Peugeot and they recommended getting rid of the unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John C said:
I haven't seen it in the US. I know in other countries they have something similar built into the key. Could it be the battery in the remote? I know my brother had the same problem in his Peugeot and they recommended getting rid of the unit.
Thanks Again John :)
Any other Countries appart from the US know what I am talking about??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
The proximity switch that you speak of sounds like some electrical genious has fitted some type of third party immobiliser.
Never seen it in the UK or Ireland. Does it or the key have a name on it other than Land Rover? :beer:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top