Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2002 LR Discovery Series ll. The red SRS light went on and I was wondering how to shut it off. It came on right after I took the truck in for an oil change and had some bulbs replaced. There was a short and the light fuse had to be replaced. At the same time the SRS light went on. I checked the connections underneath the seat and inserted the psger side seat belt 6 times...needless to say the light is still on. The dealership wants over $1000.00 to shut it off. Any suggestions? Should I replace the SRS fuse? Anyone know a mechanic in Massachusetts?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First of all, you don't just shut it off, you fix it. There are a number of reasons for it to come on, anything for the connections at the seat belt on up. Go have a non-dealer shop read the codes and give you an estimate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi DiscoMachine, the SRS light has come on because the SRS system has picked up a fault, the SRS system is kept very secret to avoid being tampered with and the system check when you turn the ignition on checks resistances etc to detect any abnormality within the system which if found will throw the light on. I had a fault with mine which was diagnosed via laptop as being the passenger air bag module (a cheap £850 piece of kit!!!!), I got an alledged good one from e-bay swapped and the light went off, however a week later the light came on and has been on ever since. You could take the dash out and remove the LED from the circuit board but in the UK it will fail an MOT, the only other option is to make a little circuit to light an led for a few seconds then exstinguish thus simulating the real function of this warning light and stick the new led behind the SRS legend. That option is ok for you but the problem starts when you sell the vehicle, technically you have made the vehicle unsafe. Good luck

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
the only other option is to make a little circuit to light an led for a few seconds then exstinguish thus simulating the real function of this warning light and stick the new led behind the SRS legend. That option is ok for you but the problem starts when you sell the vehicle, technically you have made the vehicle unsafe. Good luck
This is arguably a criminal act in the US.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine was coming on quiet a bit & tracked it down to a bad contact on the seat belt pre-tensioners, checked all the wires were tight into the plugs & sprayed some contact cleaner into the plugs & all has been fine for the past 4 months:clap:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Check and re-check all the wiring under the seat. It took me over an hour, but I finally discovered a small wire to a connector that had barely pulled out. Re-wired and no more light.
- Bill

·
Registered
292 Posts
The SRS light can be triggered by any of several causes. It can be a problem with either of the two airbags or the two front seat belt pretensioners or the rotary coupler or the SRS DCU itself. Several on the forums will recommend unplugging and reconnecting the various connectors in the system. That can lead to success but not always.

The SRS system does a self-test each time the engine is started and illuminates the SRS light if a fault is detected. If unplugging and reconnecting the accessible connectors does not work it's best to get the SRS codes read to isolate the fault.

In my truck the code indicated a problem with the driver airbag. I replaced it and the light came right back on. I then tested continuity of the harness between the driver airbag connector and the DCU under the console and found there was somehow a short in the DCU connector. I removed it, cleaned it and reinstalled it and the problem was solved.

Like any other electrical faults diagnosing an SRS problem can be a pain and requires patience and an understanding of how the systems work. When working on the SRS system always be sure to disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes before starting work. The airbags and pretensioners incorporate powerful explosives that can cause damage and personal injury. Good luck.

Reactions: sierrafery

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a SRS drivers airbag open circuit fault on my Autel MD802 code reader.

I found the same problem with this wire connection between the drivers airbag connector behind the steering wheel, and where this wire connects to the red connector behind the driver's cover in the foot well. (All part of the slip rotating coupling unit)

These two red and yellow wires were found to be crossed in the factory made squib! So no continuity was found in these wires in my test, until I touched a red wire at one end connector to a yellow at the other connector ( and vice versa). You need to slip a piece of plastic cable tie in each pin in the foot well connector to separate the earths from the pins so you can do the continuity test.

There was circuit continuity, but strangely I found a 1.6 ohm resistance in each of these wires when tested them. I was expecting minimal resistance as it was just a wire, so suspected the slip ring coupling was at fault causing the resistance. But I put it all back together anyway and its all working fine now. No fault codes. WTF, its all magic to me!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
... I found a 1.6 ohm resistance in each of these wires when tested them. I was expecting minimal resistance as it was just a wire, so suspected the slip ring coupling was at fault causing the resistance. But I put it all back together anyway and its all working fine now. No fault codes. WTF, its all magic to me!
It's not just a wire, the circuit closes through contact rings within the rotary coupler which it seems that are not in the best shape anymore and this resistance corroborated with an eventual weak contact in one of the plugs sent the system's resistance above the DCU's self test limit which IIRC is 4 Ohm including the bag's own resistance which is around 2.2 ... IMO the SRS light might come back soon then you'll have to get another coupler

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Take dash out, take bulb out or put black electrical tape over bulb, put dash back. Problem solved
That's a smart thing 😵... just that if (God forbid) you have an accident the seat belt pretensioners and airbags will not work then cos as long as the warning light is on the system is disabled :sick:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts