Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive noticed some Land Rover clones running around and I wondered how they stack up compared to the real deal..

The first being the Mitsu Montero,

and the second being the Izuzu Trooper.

Ive always liked the looks of the Troopers, but dont know about quality and such.

Now I know the Land Cruiser is more or less trail proven and on a somewhat equal basis with the Land Rover vehicles, but how about these two? Do you ever see them on trails? Are they good vehicles or crap? :dunno:

Feel free to post any other similar vehicles here. :)

· Registered
5,468 Posts
The Trooper is an easy vehicle to modify and when done, it is a good expedition type vehicle. Not as good for extreme rock crawling but excellent for other purposes.

Like you mentioned, the LC is a great vehicle too. My bro-in-law drives one and his is modded out pretty good. The thing I like about the LC is the 4.11 gears are usually stock on most models. I believe even some models came stock with some type of lockers.

The Montero on the other hand, is a piece of doggie doo doo.

· Registered
97 Posts
I had a Trooper back in '91. Simple, easy to maintain but terribly lacks horsepower with that 2.8 V6 if I remember correctly. The Montero (Pajero outside the U.S) is pretty decent at least back in the early '90s when it won the Paris Dakar Rally. Nowadays, I absolutely have no idea. Another SUV that never made it to North America is the Nissan Patrol. A common site in a lot of Asian countries, it rivals both the LR and Landcruiser in popularity not to mention mainly due cheaper maintenance costs at least the models of the early 90's. They're about the same as the dimensions Landcruiser FJ60's.

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
That's very impressive!! Nice shots...

I always liked Land Cruisers... especially the 80's FJ60 and 62's.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
I owned two Monteros in a 10 year or so span..........very nice trucks and can do alot in the stock set up. I had a 90 and a 93 which are Gen 1 and Gen 2 respectfully. The newer ones I have no idea since soccer moms are usually the ones who drive them now. One problem with the Monteros are there are not a bunch of aftermarket stuff available in the US. Over seas the choices are better.

Just my .02 worth

· Registered
492 Posts
I think the photo of the Montero might be a bit dated, as the design has changed somewhat

Trying to locate some pictures of the latest model that I had as a test vehicle back in 2002 and took down to the Empty Quarter for testing (It belonged to the Mitsubishi manager and had Ralliart suspension fitted :D )

The earlier version of the new models are definately underpowered, poor approach and departure angles, lots of plastic that breaks off.

If they are 7 seaters then there is not much room in the back when the two fold away seats are folded away.

And if anyone understands Spanish then you will know why they renamed the Pajero, Montero in US and Shogun in Europe.

As for the Pajeros that Mistusbishi use in the rallies, believe me after the badge the similarity ends

· Registered
147 Posts
I personally like the Troopers. I had a '91 for a couple or years. Bought it with 35,000 mi and after three years I got rid of it because of storage issues with the arrival of my Disco. For two thousand bucks it was a great buy. Never let me down, got good gas milage, used no oil and was a snap to work on with plenty of parts available. Mabye they were a bit under powered but this truck did everything I asked of it and was pretty good on the highway in a blizzard (presidents day storm a couple of years ago). I sold it to a kid for three hundred bucks, made his day, and still see it around town. :buttrock: :buttrock:

· MG
714 Posts
My father-in-law drives a stock Mitsu Montero; I find it totally underpowered going up even moderate grades. Never been off road with it, though, so I could´t tell you how it does.

Surprisingly, even here (Bolivia) you can find a few Pajeros, which in Spanish means "masturbators". I'll just leave it at that...

· Registered
492 Posts
PanzerJaeger said:
No way, they couldnt name a truck that!... could they? :eek:
Oh yes its true :D Wonder if Mitsubishi really understand though because they are still called Pajeros in a vast area of the world

Nicknamed the "Mitsibushi Wanker" in Saudi when I lived there

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Ever heard about the Ford Pinto?

Apparently Pinto means Small ****.

Also did not sell in South America, wonder why??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.