Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told that the side door windcws on the defender 90 would come out for warm weather use but i cannot figure out how to do so. Can someone tell me what i'm missing.

Also, does anyone know if there are replacement doors that can be used that will come off and go on as easy as a jeeps in order to drive some days without the doors?

thanks
Ken

· Registered
94 Posts
If they are the sliding windows it's a pretty easy task unless they haven't been taken off in a while or ever.

On the inside of the door just above the handle you'll find a hole on the underneath side of the trim. Up in there is a nut. I use a sparkplug socket on a ratchet to reach it. You'll need a deep socket to reach it. Loosen this and the other one you'll find near the hinge side of the door.
Now comes the fun part. The studs extend down from the window frame through some plastic sleeves into the door frame. These can get rather, um, sticky. My method is to slide open the window and tap on the inside upper window frame with a rubber mallet. You may need to put some elbow grease into it but it'll work loose.
Once the door top comes off remember to screw the nuts back onto the studs for storage or you will lose them.
When refitting the doortops put a bit of WD-40 or other lube on the sleeves so they'll come out easier next time.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the windows are the sliding kind, i see what trigger is saying, but that seems like a lot of work each time you want to jump them out, they havent come up with and easier way or attachments one can buy?

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
There are some quick release nuts, I believe Rovers North or Atlantic British (damn I keep mentioning these guys, they need to cough up some advertisement $$ for this site... :D ) has them.

Serg

· Registered
94 Posts
ktreusch said:
they havent come up with and easier way or attachments one can buy?
You want Quicknuts and replacement studs. both can be found at Atlantic British. They are awfully pricey for what they are though.

I can't justify the prices for those though. My windows go on in November and off in February. I don't remove/replace my windows often enough to buy them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.