Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched here & other sites, & have even tried Googleing this.

I have a 1992 RRC.
When i first bought this, the Day Time Running Lights (DTRL) did not work.
When I wired my driving lights in, I just tapped into the High Beam wire at the headlight to trigger my relay.

This worked well until I upgraded my headlights with new ones from Britpart.
Now my DTRL's work???

Problem is, is that the DTRL's power the high beams with a lower voltage. Now my driving lights come on (dimmly) when the truck is running & the DTRL's are on.

I need to know which wire (& where) to tap into between the lever on the steering column & the DTRL box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '90 and '93 both had plugs in the front fender for fog lamps and the wiring inside for the switch. (beside the defroster and cruise switch) Have you checked to see if yours is already wired and maybe you just need the switch and a pigtail for each lamp? IIRC the plugs are "rists" type, round connectors and are clipped to the front of the fender liner on either side. they may have rubber caps on them if your truck never had fog lamps.

Note: I believe the factory lamps are 35 watts each, higher wattage than 55 may require better wire/relay. At the very least you could use the factory wiring to trigger the relay.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I wire everything separately from the battery and entirely independently from the vehicle wiring harness whenever I can. I figure the Rangie's Lucas wiring is already electrically challenged enough without me adding to it.
It also makes electrical repairs easier as the factory wiring diagrams and test procedures are not compromised.

My 2c

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I agree with random thoughts on all that. I wanted to mention sometimes there's room in the under hood fuse box to add something. It may not be easy as just connecting wires to the battery but makes for clean installs...also keeps connections and fuses dry(er).

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Driving lights should only operate with the high beams, with a manual override so you can turn them off if you want.
To do that the lights should be wired from a relay powered from the battery and triggered by your high beams, with a switch between the trigger and the relay.

And even though you didn't ask, fog light should be wired the same, only triggered by the low beams.
That said, personally I sometimes like nothing but fogs so wire them with just a switch controlling them.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I wired mine off of the parking lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"antichrist" is correct, by law Driving lights must only come on with the High Beams & Fog lights only with low beam.

I can't beleive that no one has ever figured out how to wire driving lights into a vehicle that has DRL since it has be law since 1992.

When I had my '92 ford bronco, the DRL box was behind the bumper & all I had to do was tap into the "white" wire to trigger the driving light relay.

I had the same problem with my sons Suzuki Sidekick & as this & also could not find an answer???

Solution for the Suzuki & I guess now for my RRC (although not legal) is to use a floor mounted High Beam switch from a 1970's Ford.
This floor switch will trigger the relay, but be seperate from the steering column mounted switch, & all of the head light wiring.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
"antichrist" is correct, by law Driving lights must only come on with the High Beams & Fog lights only with low beam.

I can't beleive that no one has ever figured out how to wire driving lights into a vehicle that has DRL since it has be law since 1992.

When I had my '92 ford bronco, the DRL box was behind the bumper & all I had to do was tap into the "white" wire to trigger the driving light relay.

I had the same problem with my sons Suzuki Sidekick & as this & also could not find an answer???

Solution for the Suzuki & I guess now for my RRC (although not legal) is to use a floor mounted High Beam switch from a 1970's Ford.
This floor switch will trigger the relay, but be seperate from the steering column mounted switch, & all of the head light wiring.
Having fog lights on with low beam is a bit counterproductive. The idea of fog lights is not to reflect direct light back at you and should be used with no headlights. A 92 Rangie should be pre-wired for driving lights. There is a driving light switch made to fit in with the group of switches that are next to your heater controls. But driving lights are very simple to wire up. Just have the power source directly from the battery with an in-line fuse, The power to activate the relay to one of the wires running to your high beam headlights and the earth to the relay to a switch inside the vehicle. That is, the relay will not work without the it being earthed by the switch being on and once it is earthed the high beam will activate the relay. It is not rocket science.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I do have the Fog Light switch in the dash.
In Canada, Fog Lights must only come on with the Low Beam Head Lights, Back Up Lights only when car is in Reverse.

Work Lights are the only lights that can be wired to be controled only by a switch but can not be used while the car is in motion.

No, in Canada you can not have Driving Lights just wired to a switch.

They MUST be wired so that they ONLY come on with the High Beams.

The problem is, is that in Canada we must have Day Time Running Lights (DTRL).

DTRL's are wired to send lower voltage to the High Beams while the car is running, but the Head Lights are off.

If I run a wire from the High Beam directly to the Relay, my Driving Lights will come on with the DTRL's. Not good!

Before I had my Range Rover, I had a 1995 Ford Bronco. It too had DTRL's, but there was a DTRL control box behind the bumper. All one had to do was tap into the white wire to trigger the Driving Light Relay.

The Range Rover must have a DTRL control box somewhere, but I don't know where it is or which wire to tap into.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Yes, I do have the Fog Light switch in the dash.
In Canada, Fog Lights must only come on with the Low Beam Head Lights, Back Up Lights only when car is in Reverse.

Work Lights are the only lights that can be wired to be controled only by a switch but can not be used while the car is in motion.

No, in Canada you can not have Driving Lights just wired to a switch.

They MUST be wired so that they ONLY come on with the High Beams.

The problem is, is that in Canada we must have Day Time Running Lights (DTRL).

DTRL's are wired to send lower voltage to the High Beams while the car is running, but the Head Lights are off.

If I run a wire from the High Beam directly to the Relay, my Driving Lights will come on with the DTRL's. Not good!

Before I had my Range Rover, I had a 1995 Ford Bronco. It too had DTRL's, but there was a DTRL control box behind the bumper. All one had to do was tap into the white wire to trigger the Driving Light Relay.

The Range Rover must have a DTRL control box somewhere, but I don't know where it is or which wire to tap into.
I think you are a little confused between the law and what certain vehicles have done for you in the past. Good luck with your project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.