Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently drive over 20 mph with the center diff locked and I was wondering how much faster can I go? I know in my 2000 Dodge Durango I can go up to 45-50 no prob, and I was wondering how much can I push it with the 97' Land Rover Discovery? Its not city driving, its on secluded trails with a lot of bump, dips and hills, Its quite fun and I frequently go through just to get some kicks, but I just wanted to know how fast have you guys gone, and how much faster can I go?

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as you're on gravel or dirt surfaces, go as fast as your balls will take you. Four wheel drifts are always fun if ya have the skill to control them. :buttrock:

That being said, I'm not a fan of jumping vehicles or things of that nature that just beat the sh#% out of them.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
So Nuzzy...you telling me I need to erase the "General Lee 01" off the side of my rover? Just kidding man, I agree, go as fast as your balls and your skill will allow you to go. :drive:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Incidentally, if you plan on going fast on dirt, stay as much as possible in 3rd gear (manual or auto), as this will give you better traction, cornering stability and braking.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
No idea? Do a trial run and post the results. Just keep in mind that it's not a good idea to do jumps, and land, with your foot on the gas pedal at the same time, and oh, make sure your front wheels are pointing straight ahead when you land.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Technically, you can go in a straight line on dry pavement or dirt as fast as your Discovery can go with the diff locked, without any harm. When you attempt to corner, this is what suddenly breaks things in the drivetrain, due to axle windup. When the center diff is locked, at least one wheel on the front and one wheel on the rear axle is forced to accept power from the engine. Obviously, when you turn, the fixed rear wheels are turning at a different rate than the steering front wheels. This causes the windup and breakage. Although your Discovery is in 4WD all the time, unlike your Durango, it has the center diff unlocked to allow for variation in between-the-axles speed. because it is unlocked, this allows slip. Thats what the lock is for. When you are on dirt, though, with the diff locked, there is no allowance for differing axle speeds; the wheels must slip or break. That is why you can get away with it in the dirt. Want to go 120mph in the dirt? Get a Range Rover, with the VCU instead of the diff lock.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you are off the paved roads, you should have your centre diff locked. It wont brake the axles or diff but WILL give you a smoother ride ( :) very noticable), better fuel economy (bet I take a hit for a comment like that) better traction on corners and everywhere else, less wheel hop on washboard and over-all, a better drive. :drive:

Don't land with your foot on the gas because that means that you must have had it on the gas when you were up in the air. It is having it ON when in the air that is the problem. :rellye Soooo--- how fast are your wheels turning now with the engine rev'd right up :dunno: and no drag on the tires because you are in the air? Your tires are turning about a gazillion miles an hour and when you land they have to slow down to about zip MPH instantly. That sudden slowing down is going to break some stuff. :bawling: Probably expensive stuff. Also, as a note (don't ask how I know this one) Don't land with your foot on the brake either. If you do like I did, and land rear wheels first with the brake locked, the front of the truck will pivot down incredibly fast. Must faster than if it still had forward movement. This will bend and break things too. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.