Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I did 96 MPH on the blackrock playa...considering I was running 265/75-16 M/T's (big and heavy), and that the playa=friction, plus you could factor in all the stuff I had packed in the rover, plus another passenger.....on the road the DII might get up to 120.....at that speed though im sure air resistance would be killer......our vehicles have the drag coef. of a brick.

Btw.....it did pretty good at 96 MPH too.....was about 85 degrees out and I was doing 96 all the way across the playa.....about 20 miles of it... Temp gauge was in the norm.

·
2,986 Posts
too much. haha.. rock sliders, dual batterys, tjm t15, warn xd9000 winch, roof rack, 6 ext. lights...

yah.. my list has dwindled down.. immediately its RTE bumper, some rear (greg davis probably), then its hd axles, 4.11's and arb's

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I had mine up to 90 in Illinois...but here in CO i am with Rmuller....i do 80 85 max and 65 uphill....sometimes I top out at 50 - 55 on the long Mtn passes.... But it's an RRC not a disco....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went 105 mph on the freeway once in the middle of the day. With a full roof rack and lights. I also have a brushguard with lights as well. Do the math and Im sure you could break 110 easy on a stock Disco II. SHHH... don't tell. The speed limit was 60.

·
2,986 Posts
I honestly tried my hardest on a hill earlier this week.. it was 4am and no one was around.. huge incline.. I was going about 80 when I hit the hill, and had it on sports mode and the pedal on the floor.. couldn't pass higher than 67 (clocked on GPS) ... pathetic! hah

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Yeah...thats the problem....there is nowhere to test this idea really. Though at about 115 MPH I think my M/T's would explode.....I think they are rated to 85 MPH :eek:

We might do a race accross the desert at blackrock....ehh....but probably not a race. There is no speed limit on the playa, thing is, its not fun to be last....so would probably stick to 70-80 MPH when we go accross......those who wish can push thier's to the limit at thier own risk..

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
keptin said:
I wonder how a 4.6 does...
Well in my parents P38 I was pulling my camper...wasn't paying attention to speed, I hadn't seen anyone in 2 hours ( I was in Wyoming) I looked down and was doing 105!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hmm....that would be a fun test with LRL or something....if they raced Petrol rovers, some stock, some completely modded and recorded speed, time, etc....would be an interesting read.

If you think about it....if LR ever started to grow a street based fan-base then perhaps products would be made to enhance the power of off-road rovers.....such as engine parts, drop in engines.....stuff like that.... ....though it would never be like import cars....hehe...but LRs are still imports (I think?)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My 04 when it was bone stock topped at 117.

Ryan- I'm working a deal on 4:11 and TruTrac sets for the DII... trying to get a group buy discount.

·
2,986 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
My 04 when it was bone stock topped at 117.

Ryan- I'm working a deal on 4:11 and TruTrac sets for the DII... trying to get a group buy discount.
word, look into the HD axles too.. i haven't decided on arb or tt/detroits yet.. but when I do, i'm running some hd axles and keeping my stocks as spares.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
mine went about 640mph one time when it was flown over the atlantic from England in a 747!! lol :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Never been over 75 - Never wanted to!

- - Anyway, the 4.6 ('04 S) with the stock 255/65-16s has a lot of power left over. On the 5 mile long 6% upgrade above Nyack, CA (Donner Pass) with the trailer on the back (loaded) and the inside of the truck full of gear it hangs in at 65 no problem.

- So Steve; how bad is the power loss after going to 265/75-16s ?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The power loss wasn't terrible... but the hunting for gears is annoying as hell. It's very sensitive on small hills etc- so much so that I'm thinking of re-gearing it with 4:11's.
Ryan- the DII axles are plenty strong, save the $1000 or so for HD axles. The only guys busting the stock ones are pounding on the trucks. The DII has stronger axles than the DI's...

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Wow, I had mine doing 125mph on several occasions. Not sure if elevation plays a card in it or not, but the D2 is electronically limited, not mechanically. It was surprisingly smooth and stable at that speed, although it was VERY loud and sounded like the hampsters under the hood were about to have a stroke.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.