Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chill!

Wow, all abit serious. Chill guys.

My 21/4 diesel is really past its' best before date. I have the chance of obtaining a new Fiat Doblo diesel engine (For those over the pond and elsewhere, the Doblo is a pathetic little tin Box) 1905cc 8 valve. The 16valve version is used in Alfa's, GM models and I guess, Saabs.

Sadly, I've just done 20k miles in a Doblo and was impressed by the motor.

Discuss.

Gripper. :D

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Dont know the Fiat Diesels at all! Dont get them this side of the sun.

please tell us more about it, also please remind us which series landy youv got

·
Registered
38 Posts
Which Series?

Hi Moeras,

It's a 1969 IIa 88' in need of more care and attention I seem to have time for.
It goes, stops and steers and is just about legal most of the time!

Gripper.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Gripper said:
Hi Moeras,

It's a 1969 IIa 88' in need of more care and attention I seem to have time for.
It goes, stops and steers and is just about legal most of the time!

Gripper.
The fiat engine is not a common conversion in fact i know of no one that makes a conv plate for one and I suspect it will be under powered and not very tractable with the power delivery and also will increase your insurance premiums due to being modified and non standard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fiat

Hi Onslow,

Just speculation with the Fiat engine. 105bhp and a fair amount of torquue at about 1750 revs. Not unlike a monty TD I suppose.

I am tempted by the Montego motor but I can't find a car and they are now a bit old so likely "tired" Also, just itching to meet the other guy who does the conversion bits, see www.integerspin.co.uk.

You might be able to answer this question too. If the distribution pump on a 21/4 diesel can only go on in one position because of the tooth patern on the drive spline, why the need to find a thousand and one timing marks, take up the backlash etc. I can't get my head around this at the moment.

Gripper.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
the monty TD is capable of 300k plus in the milage dept its a shame ive just given a belter away,the monty TD had an easily tweakable dizzy pump which overcame the lack of low down torque,but not sure about that on the fiat lump but I suspect it would be a major engineering feat to get it in a landy if at all I know interger has spent a lot of time with the monty diesel and knows all there is to know about the matters involved.

As for the 2 1/4 dizzy pump it isnt fixed due to the splines on the drive gear it can be rotated through 20 degrees to adjust the spill (injection) timing this is why the special tool is used once the timing marks on the flywheel (EP if I remember) are in line to take the slack out of the chain and correctly locate the timing pointer on the block so the pump mark can be aligned correctly giving correct (factory) timing.

How ever this principle only works on an engine with a new timing chain as any strech in the chain effectively alters the cam timing slightly, so therefore if you time the engine as per manual it will be out of sync slightly with the cam therefore affecting performance and you really dont want any loss of power on the already lame 2 1/4 D,this same principle also occurs to a greater degree with the rover V8 due to poor timing chains
Hope this helps Ta ONz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Angel of Death said:
Anyone seen anything crazy like a SWB Series on 44 inch boggers or anything nuts like that? I have lots of ideas in this mind of mine, just too much contract left before I can a start on anything!
These are a couple of my favorites:

If you remove the name of the photo you will get an open directory containing hundreds of pictures of this and several other tricked out trucks climbing around Moab: http://www.untrakdrover.com/trips/images/Moab 2002/images/ Cool stuff.

Pictured below is my truck on a shakedown run getting ready for the Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail week long run. Not exactly 44 inch tires, but certainly not stock any longer. Incidentally I discovered a faulty clutch on this hill, which I was able to replace before heading out on the big trip.

Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Those pictures kicked some serious ass, thanks for posting that link!

I lived in Utah and would vacation down in Moab in the summers but this was before my love of trucks and offroading manifested itself. I'd love to back down there someday!

Here are some of my favs from that link:

Nice 88 IIa

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice piccies

I know this rock rawling thing is big in the land of the free but in the UK most of the rock is down under the mud!

So, freinds from over the pond, give me a clue. Is the Range Rover going up and failing, or falling down having got it wrong further up?

Arn't these rocks a little hard and unyielding in the event of a miscalculation?

G.

·
10,236 Posts
Gripper said:
I know this rock rawling thing is big in the land of the free but in the UK most of the rock is down under the mud!

So, freinds from over the pond, give me a clue. Is the Range Rover going up and failing, or falling down having got it wrong further up?

Arn't these rocks a little hard and unyielding in the event of a miscalculation?

G.

To me it looks like he is climbing up the rocks just fine....It's just a hard climb and he is useing spotters...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drove the Northwest Challenge with the fellow in the Green 109 RHD. He's not scared of driving over any terrain, or any size of rock. Should have seen him climbing the rock piles in southern Washington, in fact you can here: http://orca.bcnewsgroup.com/gallery/nwc2005shawn/IMG_0303, but the best shot of that truck was last year on the Placer Lake trail, where his rear door opened while doing a timed hill climb...

Sorry D, I just couldn't resist. You've got a great ride!

Dave

·
10,236 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is why even our gear in the rig is tough...You never know whats gonna happen...the good news is with less weight you went faster...LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cummins makes the repower 2.8 ready to go with all of the computers and even the throttle. Would be a perfect size and weight as it is designed to fit into a jeep wrangler. Just an idea.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
This thread is older than my kid.. Zombie record.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts