Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I just got my temp and fuel gauges up and running...... You know they say ignorance is bliss? Well I took Winston for a spin and to my surprise the temp gauge came up in about 5 min to Hot and stayed there. Now mind you that the outside temp is 40-41. I had drained the rad. and flushed the system, put in 50/50. I can see the coolant circulating. The rover is not blowing water.... Is this normal for the little 4 banger (petrol)? I am going to check with infrared tomorrow.... any thoughts? :cool:

·
Registered
317 Posts
zerolatitude,
Hmm, my truck *never* seems to warm up, but I don't have the temps that you do...

Yeah, that infrared is a good tool to try and isolate where the hot spots are. Hmm, but if you have water circulating the thermostat should be good as well as the water pump. Since you've flushed out the coolant, I'd say that the rad is *probably* good...but I think you're looking at two options here, either a faulty radiator or head gasket. So, you could shell out for a new rad, which might fix the problem, but I'd suggest testing for a head gasket first, but doing the following:
1.leakdown/compression test
2.oil analysis to check for glycol in the oil
3.exhaust gas test (this worked for me at detecting a gasket failure where others didn't since the leak was so slight...a tube of blue fluid sits ontop of the radiator and will change color to yellow or green if exhaust gases are in the coolant...cool stuff)
At least then you'll know what the skinny is...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
317 Posts
zerolatitude,
Hmm, I'm always a little wary of just pulling the thermostat as it really does have a function in letting the engine get up to operating temp faster than if the coolant is circulating all the time.
Let us know what you've found...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well would you look at that...

Popped off the housing for the thermostat. Nope just a big hole. It had been removed. You know I think this is electrical. (Haven't had the chance to get my hands on infared.) I noticed that when the fuel gauge is at the top so is the temp gauge... when the fuel comes off full the temp gauge comes to normal...... Could this all be just smoke? I mean could the voltage regulator on the spedo be doing this? That is, some sort of an earth problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Bog

That was it...... scared the heck out of me. I don't like hot engines. I pulled the instrument cluster and started cleaning connections. Fuel came to half.... goes up and down and the temp does what it should. That was a GREAT link. Thanks so much for the help. New carb... points and such this weekend. :drink1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.