·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody tell me how much horsepower my 97 disco has....v8i

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The horsepower rating given by car manufacturers is measured at the flywheel. The actual horsepower figure at the wheels, is around 15% less for 2 wheel drives, and less still with 4 wheel drives. This is why they quote flywheel horsepower figures, cause the numbers look better.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everybody for your help :drive:

·
Registered
106 Posts
pretty dam low for the vehicle, if you ask me. I really wish these 4.0's would do well with a blower on them. Everything ive read has supported the opposite with very bad results internally with forced induction.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
JMan. Naturally if a forced induction system is not installed properly, it's not going to work properly, with the usual result being a destroyed engine. The general idea that most people have, is just stick on a supercharger and viola all your horsepower problems are answered. This is just so far from the truth. The negative reads you have read, is from these people. That's why you will come across advertisements in LR Forums (and others) selling off superchargers. To supercharge/turbocharge an engine properly costs a lot of money, as you have to include some form of cooling, being either a water injection system or intercooling, either air to air, which is the most common method, or water to air. Add on a new computer + tuning costs, bigger injectors, adjustable fuel regulator, a new ignition system such as MSD, better spark plug leads and coil. Add headers, bigger radiator and oil cooler etc. Having said this, I can say that I have run supercharging on one of my discos since 1996 and have not had any problems with it, other than getting an oversupply of adrenalin on a daily basis. I love the power, and if I was to purchase another LR or any other vehicle for that matter, I would supercharge that also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Disco said:
JMan. Naturally if a forced induction system is not installed properly, it's not going to work properly, with the usual result being a destroyed engine. The general idea that most people have, is just stick on a supercharger and viola all your horsepower problems are answered. This is just so far from the truth. The negative reads you have read, is from these people. That's why you will come across advertisements in LR Forums (and others) selling off superchargers. To supercharge/turbocharge an engine properly costs a lot of money, as you have to include some form of cooling, being either a water injection system or intercooling, either air to air, which is the most common method, or water to air. Add on a new computer + tuning costs, bigger injectors, adjustable fuel regulator, a new ignition system such as MSD, better spark plug leads and coil. Add headers, bigger radiator and oil cooler etc. Having said this, I can say that I have run supercharging on one of my discos since 1996 and have not had any problems with it, other than getting an oversupply of adrenalin on a daily basis. I love the power, and if I was to purchase another LR or any other vehicle for that matter, I would supercharge that also.
oh yea, most dont spend the time to properly tune these systems. My tacoma blower and all related fuel components included bigger injectors, cooler plugs and t-stat, FTC timing calibration unit, bigger fuel pump , headers and exhaust and some dyno runs to get it dialed in.
Seems that maybe no one has offered a "complete Kit" if you can say that for the rovers. I did read somewhere that someone did do an overall good job of tuneing but that a couple of cylinders still leaned out resulting in - kaboom!!! fried cylinder heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.