Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 Disco Lse, Just Bought It, Love It, No Owners Manual, Still Trying To Fiqure Out All The Bells And Whistles, Can Someone Explain The Operation Of Getting It Into 4wd And Then Out Of 4wd. Thanks!

· Registered
641 Posts
Disco's are permanent 4 wheel drive. The lever operates the center diff lock and high/low range

· Registered
720 Posts
All the Discos have permanent 4wheel drive. You can shift into low range(at stop or very slow speed) pushing the little stick forwards - this takes a little practise to do smoothly and without grunching of gears. By moving the little stick sideways, you can lock the center differential when you are on gravel/snow/sand etc. Even if you are just a boulevard hopper, get used to shifting in and out of low range regularly - this will prevent the system from 'gumming up'. As far as I know there is no way to use the front or rear axle alone as in the old land rovers. One more point - don't ever try to tow the vehicle like a regular older car (with the front or rear axle off the ground) or you'll do some real damage. Try to get the owners manual immediately from the previous owner or if necessary from a wrecker as it is quite useful. The radio reset code and other info specific to your vehicle should be in the original manual. That info will be available from the dealer also - get all this info asap and store it with the owners manual at home. Good luck with your new landy! Oh yes, buy yourself a Haynes Manual for the vehicle - it's a good place to start understanding any repair work and it will save you alot of money.

· Premium Member
1,144 Posts
u cant take it out of 4wd. you can just put it in high range low range, and lock. Use high for normal driving and easy off-roading. use low for more difficult off-roading where high doesnt provide enough power. put it into lock when traction is low. dont use lock on the pavement or it will slowly eat away your tires.

Low Lock---Low Range
l l
l l
Neutral--------Neutral
l l
l l
High Lock--High Range

· Registered
47 Posts
01001010 said:
You can make it two wheel drive if you remove either of the prop-shafts as well...incase you ever needed to make a repair to something. in the Drivetrain.
Good advice. Not only for making a repair, but if you are ever off-roading and damage your front (or rear) diff, by disconnecting the prop-shaft (and possibly opening the damaged diff and removing the nice little chunks of crunched metal if necessary), you can put the truck in Diff Lock high and be able to limp home. Actually, once you are on the highway, I think you will be able to cruise along just fine.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thank you! All, really helpful and great advice! pavel, thank you for the other tips, also. Ok, now one stupid question to the next, how exactly does the diff. function? I'm in Florida, so snows not a factor, but beach driving is. What will the diff. do for me in the sand?

Anyone have any recommendations of where to get an owners manual? suck it up and go to the dealership? hire a private detective to track down the previous owner?

Thanks Again Everyone!!!

· Registered
490 Posts
A couple of things to remember.

Take good angles.
Softer sand, needs softer tires.
Four wheel drive allows a pull and push in sand. As you tires sink, they have to either push the car forward or pull the car forward (four wheel drive allow both at the same time). Deflating the tire allows better surface area and decreases the amount of climbing they may have to do while pushing or pulling (wont sink as much and then having to climb out of it own hole). If that makes any sense, at all.

Go out and play around. You will what I am talking about. Try it for while with full inflation then try it with half inflation. Big difference.

If you get yourself stuck with full inflation, let half the air out and try getting out. If a Jeep comes around and your stuck... act like you are just taking a break and checking out the view. LOL Just kidding.

Have fun!

· Registered
130 Posts
01001010 said:
You can make it two wheel drive if you remove either of the prop-shafts as well...incase you ever needed to make a repair to something. in the Drivetrain.
Ok, mine is always in 2, I always thought it was a weird British thing. But its always supposed to be 4? :confused What do I need to do to put mine back to normal?

· Registered
130 Posts
Thats really weird, My brother and I were confused too. But all the diff locks work, I have used them. And before I bought it I had a mech who workd for the govetrnment look at the rover from top to bottum.

I worried.

· Registered
130 Posts
My brother and I kept peeling out in my drive and only the front tires would spin.

· Registered
130 Posts
Oh, now I am calm. I was getting goose bumps and a cold sweat. Thanks dude, your awesome :buttrock:!!! Land Rovers are a new thing for me. I am used to working on VW Wolfsberg Camper Vans.

· Registered
295 Posts
llesra said:
u cant take it out of 4wd. you can just put it in high range low range, and lock. Use high for normal driving and easy off-roading. use low for more difficult off-roading where high doesnt provide enough power. put it into lock when traction is low. dont use lock on the pavement or it will slowly eat away your tires.

Low Lock---Low Range
l l
l l
Neutral--------Neutral
l l
l l
High Lock--High Range
Question: I can bring the lever from high range/open, to neutral and then up to low lock, except it doesn't always engage on the first try.

Then, when I bring it out of Low lock to high range, it doesn't really go all the way back. I have to sit there and play with the lever taking it in and out of Drive until it engages. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.