Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have asked this in another thread but it was not the main topic so there was not much coverage on it.

This question has to do with where to get your LR3 upgraded to have the stout/planted look. I am about [try] to get 275/65/R18 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO for my 2006 LR3 V8 SE, with Johnson rods. Then I stumbled on wheel spacers (Terrafirma Wheel Spacers For LR3 And Range Rovers) and I said out loud "that's it!".

Can anyone help me decide if getting Terrafirma Wheel Spacers is a good idea? Easy to install? I don't plan on doing any hardcore off-roading, and I do want that more "planted", wider look. I hadn't even thought about these and before seeing them, I was going to get Johnson Rods with 275/65/R18 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO. Could I get larger tires that would be fine? I think it might depend on the tire mfg and me having 18" wheels. Or would I have to worry about a Johnson Rod breaking (sorry if that's a sin saying that -- I don't know how solid/stable/permanent they are) and being stuck on the road (bump stops?) because the setup I chose was so volatile?

Also, I just went to bfgoodrich's website and put in 2006 LR3 SE and it said "Unfortunately, we do not currently manufacture tires fitting this vehicle's Original Equipment specifications. However, we may have an approved alternative and would be glad to help you find one."

HUH!? 70% of the LR3s I see have these exact tires. All the tire places I go; they tappity tap-tap on the computer and say they only have such and such tire available (255/55/R18). Do I need to go to a local auto shop, slip'm a $100 and show them a picture of what I want my LR3 to look like? Or, do I just go online, purchase the tires I want and johnson rods, the wheel spacers, then schedule an appt with a local auto shop to have them install them?

Thanks in advance :smile

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I asked the local Land Rover dealership and they said:

"Unfortunately we do not sell or install aftermarket parts or accessories. I would check out on the Land Rover web clubs and see what people have done with these and how they change how the car drives. Some of these items are best for off road use and can change how the sensors work on road but I don’t have much experience with these items. Check out the guys from North West Rovers Club and see what they say or what they recommend, they might be the best help to get what you’re looking for."

And I'm hesitant to go to any local auto shop now because I realize everyone just puts on their overzealous cap and says "of course we can do that".... as I walk out the door the guy who just said that asks his co-workers "hey, can we do that for him?.... ahhhhh, we'll figure it out".

I have never had so much money and couldn't figure out how to spend it! :crying

·
Registered
86 Posts
nitto grappler 285/60/18

Get the nitto grappler 285/60/18 and also some lift rods. Here's a pic of my truck with the nittos, First and third pic, they are slightly wider and achieve the planted look. I got new narrower tires because they are better in the snow up here in the Northeast. Middle pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and thanks for your reply. I just ordered Johnson rods and terra firma wheel spacers (60mm). I am waiting on a quote for five BFGoodrich all-terrain TA KO 275/65/18. I just wish I knew if I could do 285/65/18 without a problem. The companies that sell tires only seem to tell you what the computer tells them, and the auto shops kind of look at you like "okay yeah, we can do that for you"... But they all have a raised eyebrow and smirk look as if they're thinking inside (idiot). I have this same question in so many forums but... no answers, So I am just going to try this and see what happen. Thanks again for your reply.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
With the spacers and the wide tires I hope you don't have a suspension fault that drops it to the bump stops. You will probably find out you can't drive it until you clear the fault.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi ArmyRover, thanks for your reply. Have you ever done such setup and experienced what you're describing?? I have had a suspension fault before. I bought an Elm327 (sp?) device and the 4Dcan software from RSW so I can clear the faults. The first (and only) time I got the "suspension fault" I was still able to drive with no problems.

Here is what I will have installed by mid next week:

275/65/18 BF Goodrich T/A KO2
Terrafirma wheel spacers (60mm)
Johnson rods

·
1,854 Posts
you could do the GoodYear Duratrac 265 65 18 they are great tires.
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Hi ArmyRover, thanks for your reply. Have you ever done such setup and experienced what you're describing?? I have had a suspension fault before. I bought an Elm327 (sp?) device and the 4Dcan software from RSW so I can clear the faults. The first (and only) time I got the "suspension fault" I was still able to drive with no problems.

Here is what I will have installed by mid next week:

Johnson rods
Yes actually I have experienced this. Tires were close to 33" and when it faulted to the bump stops the tires were jammed into the wheel wells.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ouch!

Yes actually I have experienced this. Tires were close to 33" and when it faulted to the bump stops the tires were jammed into the wheel wells.
Ouch! So, the fact that I will have a fixed/permanent 2.5" lift with the Johnson Rods (or the likes:proper Spec Land Rover LR3 Suspension Lift Kit 2005-2009 Proud Rhino Lift Rods); if the suspension does fault, will I be OK since the rods are in place?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Ouch! So, the fact that I will have a fixed/permanent 2.5" lift with the Johnson Rods (or the likes:proper Spec Land Rover LR3 Suspension Lift Kit 2005-2009 Proud Rhino Lift Rods); if the suspension does fault, will I be OK since the rods are in place?
The rods just fool the computer into thinking the suspension is sitting lower than it actually is so it raises the suspension to what it thinks is the right height.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, here it is after all said and done. Only a little rubbing on passenger side but I'm just driving it for a bit to see where I need to cut out some plastic. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed! And the tires are no louder than the road tires I had on it before. In other words, silent :grin

Johnson rods

I also got new lower control arms to get rid of that obnoxious KNOCKING sound any time I went over even the tiniest bump.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you mean that you have 30mm spacers on each side or that you ordered 60mm spacers? I have not yet seen the 60mm spacers, maybe you could provide a link?

Additionally, do you mind taking a photo from straight on or straight from the rear? Are the tires flush with the arches?

You're very much on the same wavelength as I am, but just further ahead and with a lighter color silver.:grin

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oops, yeah I meant 30mm. I got them from Atlantic British, here's the link: Terrafirma Wheel Spacers For LR3 And Range Rovers

I will take photos from head on and from the rear tonight and post. Also take some pics of the wheel spacers up close. The tires are flush with the arches of the black fenders, yes. It is the exact look I was looking for and couldn't be happier with the look and performance. What I'm trying to do now is find a donut (or another 18" LR3 wheel) that will fit the fifth BF Goody I have since apparently it won't fit on the factory/stock donut. Sigh...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are the pics. I tried taking pics of the wheel spacers but you can't really make them out from the pics. They just look like 2" thick aluminum spacers -- exactly what they are! Hope this helps. All said and done retail and labor came to about $3k (most of the labor was from replacing the control arms). $275/ea for the tires. $366 for the Terrafirma wheel spacers. ~$190 for the Johnson Rods (a rip off if you ask me but hey, I had the money), and.... I also got new lower control arms because my bushings were shot and every little tiny bump I went over sounded like EXTREME metal on metal, and I heard horror stories of people using existing control arms and only replacing the bushings. Now it feels and sounds like I'm rolling on clouds...

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks!

Looks awesome. Done deal for me now.

Here's a link to a wheel on ebay - should match yours. I've had good luck buying wheels on eBay - lots of people on there resurfacing them. Of course you should keep an eye on the For Sale section.
Purchased! Thanks for the link. I will post back to let people know if it will fit underneath where the spare donut is. I called the LR dealer and they weren't sure -- they said it might fit so long as I don't have the tow package, so I'm just going to try it. If it doesn't fit I'll either get a tire rack for the back, or put it on the expedition bajarack that I just ordered :grin

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.