Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Can someone out there tell me how to change the aerial on a Discovery Series 1. Some little skober broke mine, the nut on top moves but I can't access the underneath.

Thanks

Wicklah

· Registered
1,506 Posts
I haven't replaced mine yet but I have a feeling that you have to remove the bolts on top of the fender and pull the fender out a bit. I don't think you have to remove the plastic rivits from under the fender. Just a thought.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

· Registered
5 Posts
About an hour of your time

First off....get a service manual, the process takes about an hour of your time, yes you need to remove all fender mounting bolts and screws, pull fender out a bit and loosen nut..(look at the replacement aerial before you try this!!!! Second remove the glove box from hindges and find the aerial lead sticking out to the firewall (easy to spot...looks like a coax cable) and trace it back and around the ecu and other crap thats blocking your view. !!!!DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE RADIO!!!!! you need a special tool to pull stock radio and is not necessary for this repair!! There is a lead that comes off the the radio and is tucked up in the back of the dash board, just follow the wire from the firewall and you'll find it. Disconect the lead and attach a line to it BEFORE you try to pull the wire out through the engine compartment....the fire wall doubled and if you dont attach the line to it first you can preaty much kiss the stock aerial goodbye!!! Thats the easy part of the process Personaly the hardest part I found was seating the 2 groments in the inner and outter firewalls....you'll have to find a way to do this or the vibration of you landy will eventualy rub away the insulation on wire and you'll be back at square one again. This job is easy and can be done by any competent person so long as you first look at everything and lay out a plan of attack!!!

Cheers!!!! :drink1:

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Thank you Mike...

Now I gotta go the Patton and make the war plan. I was looking at the Haynes manual and did not like the idea of drilling out the rivots inside the wheelwell.

When it's right, out the old and in the new.

Adam in NYC :drive:

· Registered
43 Posts
Adam, you do not even need to remove the liner, just the top and side bolts/screws for the fender just to pull away the fender from the body, you might also have to remove some components in the engine bay near the firewall to help in routing the cabel into the truck -Andy

BTW the drilling of the rivets is ok, they are plastic and you would just replace with new ones....

and another thing, by pulling the fender out you get to see what condition the body is in, and you can do some cleaning whilst you are in there -A

· Registered
321 Posts
some goof broke mine aswell. what i ended up doing was a slice job. unscrew the top part of aerial. take the wheel off the passenger side and the plastic wheel well cover. cut the cable, install new aerial and slice the old cable to the new cable. :) helps that i work for a phone company and had some BNC connectors. make sure the inside cable parts are not touching the outer metal shething (sp) as that's your ground. make sure the outter metal shething is connected to each other too
take care
sam

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed

How'ya

Right, changed it. I shall include pics etc below of the nuts/screws etc that I removed. Unfortunately, as I got carried away fixing it, I didn't get pics of actually putting in the aerial (hands were busy :). (Right-hand Irish model).

Excuse the quality of the pics, they are quite small, but you'll get the idea.

The original top nut of the broken aerial just kept turning, hence having to remove the wing.

I have taken some advice from the people above (many thanks guys) and also worked somethings out myself. I am not a mechanic, and am only beginning DIY mechanics so chances are I may have done something incorrectly or missed some important steps (but I don't think I did).

a) Open bonnet, and remove the 6/7 screws tying the wing to the engine body (see line-of-screws-bonnet.jpg (tilt your head to the left)).

b) Remove front indicator light and headlight. There is a small screw tying the wing into the bit of jeep under headlight. I removed it but it may not have been necessary. (see behind-right-indicator.jpg)

c) Open your drivers door, there are 4 bolts securing the wing to the body of the jeep, you'll need a socket set (more new tools :) for this bit (see door-meets-wing.jpg (tilt head to the left again)).

d) Up where the windscreen meets the bonnet, over at the aerial side, there is a small screw that holds a section of black (on mine) plastic. This I am fairly sure should be removed, I attempted to 'work' the wing away underneath this and <b>broke</b> the plastic (so that's gonna need to be replaced goddamnit) (see aerial.jpg - not great quality).

e) Work the wing away from the jeep from the top, mine didn't come off completely, but I was able to move it about 5 inches back from the top of the bonnet. Once back, be careful of <b>very</b> sharp edges of the underside of the wing (and don't let important bits fall to the bottom of the wing :).

f) I was able to remove the old aerial, but I didn't fancy attempting to get the new cable all the way over the radio. The coax goes from in the wing through the engine space into toward the back of the dashboard. I connected the old coax to the new in that space using a coax connector (means I can get to it if I have any problems). Tested aerial obviously before putting it all back together.

g) Put everything back in reverse order and happily was left with no nuts/screws/bolts left over (and all tools back in boxes).

Apologies if this is all over the place but that is my experience. If anyone has any question, PM or email me. If anyone has any comments, please feel free to add them here, as I previously mentioned, I am a beginner car wise (can do everything around the house so thought it was time to turn my attention to the jeep).

Rgds,

Wicklah

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.