Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This engine was built by a very well-known Rover engine shop. It didn't last long.

Everyone makes mistakes. And even the smallest one's can hurt you big.

In this instance, the builder neglected to position the cam bearing correctly. They assumed that the bearing fits flush with the face of the block. They failed to follow one of the basic rules of engine building... always confirm that the oil holes line up with the cam bearings. The cam has an annular groove on the first journal, so not only was bearing surface contact reduced by about 20%, the groove wasn't being directly oiled. Add to that the oil gallery being half blocked and the build was doomed from that moment on. It didn't take long for the cam to eat up the bearing.

If you look just behind the oil passage hole, you can see where the bearing didn't wear where the annular groove was.

It was very confusing why the engine had poor oil pressure as everything else checked out fine. During disassembly, the cam would not come free of the block. It took a little tug with a slide hammer to get it out.

The moral is, even the best make mistakes. Assume nothing.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Oh boy....
Was this the top hat engine you recently pulled?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Love to know who the builder was

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh boy....
Was this the top hat engine you recently pulled?
Not that one. I did some research and found out that engine had been in the vehicle 8 years and 70k/mi. It was like new inside. Bore wear was under .oo2" I put rings and bearings in that one and a Crower cam (wasted money IMO) and pit it into my son's '04.

My intention isn't to out a reputable builder that made a mistake and took care of it. I wanted to highlight both an easy mistake to make for a hobbyist or pro alike and also that attention to detail is everything when inside an engine. In my own experience, I have found that the more experienced I have become, the more confident in my skills and now I find myself sometimes acting before I think it through.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
If they made it right than it's all good, I have issue with those that make mistakes and don't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.