Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.. i need help.. my sunroof doesn't totally close anymore.. i opened it two days ago and when i was going to close the sunroof.. it got stuck.. i don't have any idea what happened :( can someone please help me? thanks

· Registered
60 Posts
Freelander sunroofs are notoriously fragile and prone to failure - but you've found that out. I've had mine replaced twice under warranty.

Is the mechanism making ratchity sounds? If so a gear is probably stripped. You can try to physically help it close by pushing it forward while pressing the close button. Or if it is in the last phase where only the aft end is open, it might help to gently press down on it while pressing the close button. Both of these are just to get the damn thing closed so it doesn't rain in and the mechanism is truely shot and needs replacing.

You could try opening it slightly and then try closing it, making sure the air deflector is retracting properly (one on my failure modes). If that is the problem, you can carefully remove the air deflector and the roof itself works almost normally. Just chuck it in the back and return it to the dealer at the next service.

If nothing happens when you press the close button, check the fuse. That is the easiest but probably the least likely fix.

Good luck. I hope you are still under warranty since the replacement is pretty expensive. Needless to say, I don't use mine very much any more and definitely not off-road where it might get too much vibration and fly apart!

· HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
If you remove the front dome light Located between your sunvisors you can access the sunroof motor . Using a Flat Blade screwdriver insert the flat blade within the plastic slot within the sunroof motor and if the Sunroof rails are not to badly broken you can override the electrical system and manually open or close your sunroof by turning the sunroof motor forward or backwards with the screw driver. If I can help in any way please feel free to ask any questions. Bill

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
What happens if the motor will not re-wind? I have tried both methods, applying pressure to the sunroof with the switch being pressed and trying to re-wind the motor. It will not budge! Car is a 2005 Freelander 2.5 V6, which I have just bought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts