Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all from Adam in NYC.

I got a replacement mirror from eBay. It is the no-button version of the Auto-Dim mirror from a 2001. The original mirror was damaged.

The newer mirror has two CdS photocells and a little window on the right.

What is that for ? Compass or Temp ?

Does anyone have the specific instructions for removing the mirror?

Does anyone have the pinout from the 1996 D1 and the newer 2001 D2? I would prefer the color wiring if you have it.

Many thanks in advance.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
43 Posts
no more mirrors

Adam [and everybody else] I was probally one of the last people to get a free replacement mirror from magna-donnely, they have since gotten wise and mirrors only are replaced within factory warrenty from the dealers......
that gravy train came to a halt a while ago -Andy

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh well......

96discose7 said:
Adam [and everybody else] I was probally one of the last people to get a free replacement mirror from magna-donnely, they have since gotten wise and mirrors only are replaced within factory warrenty from the dealers......
that gravy train came to a halt a while ago -Andy
That solves that. Does anyone have a answer to the first question?

BTW, Have a great Thanksgiving Day to those in the areas that observe it.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still waiting man........

TsiArt said:
If I'll remember I'll look it up in my Disco bock ( the Bible :) )
with the patience of Job.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and waiting and waiting....

Adam in NYC USA said:
with the patience of Job.

Adam in NYC
and waiting and waiting. Looked the RAVE CD. What a mess in their diagrams.and waiting and waitingand waiting and waiting.

Did I mention I am waiting?

At this rate, I'd installed a video system.

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
128 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
The newer mirror has two CdS photocells and a little window on the right.

What is that for ? Compass or Temp ?

Photocell on the front is so it knows when it's dark. Photocell on the face is so it knows when to dim, it sees light from behind. Window is for compass.
I think there's only a couple wires. +with key on/-/Reverse lamps.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
frickjp said:
I think there's only a couple wires. +with key on/-/Reverse lamps.
Thanks for the info. I was trying to figure out the newer electrical connectors on pigtail on the new rear view mirror.

The 1996 has only three wires ; the mirror from the 2001 has four wires. I can make a educated guess that two on the old mirror are positive and negative ground. The third is the signal wire from the reverse to flip the mirror when you go into reverse. The fourth wire on the newer mirroe is the one with the 64,000 dollar question.

Maybe it is a accessory positive for the map lights. I dunno. I will acquire the mirror from a 1997 so I don't have to pull the liner and wiring during the middle of the winter.

Thanks anyway.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Solved: Mirror transplant completed

Just got a 1997 exact mirror replacement off of eBay and dropped it in yesterday. The original pulled right off and I just had to convince the headliner a little to cooperate. The prior used car dealer just had to use black epoxy under the old mirror to stop the drip. Same with the corner lights in the front. Those turned into my first Land Rover aquariums.

What a huge electrical connector for a mirror!

What a difference when you are looking thru a dirty rear view! I am guessing the OEM mirror also polarises the light so it cuts down on the glare.

Now to find the other 2001 mirror and sell it off on eBay. Don't need it now.

Thanks to all interested.

Adam in NYC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.