Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

The handle mechanism has fallen-off the upper tailgate of my '92 RRC.

There is now just the hole...and I can see a small "forked" piece in there...but it does not offer any resistance...just floats around.

What method can I use to open it?

I found a used replacement....I suppose I could just detach it at the hinges??

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks,

SG

·
10,236 Posts
You should have 3 holes now.. 2 for the screws to hold the handle on and the center hole for the new handle... My rover no longer has a handle either... I use a screwdriver to push in the plunger that releases the lathes.. and it opens right up for me!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funrover:

I stuck a screwdriver in there and tried pressing, pushing, twisting, looking for some activation/release mechanism and nothing happened...

Do you just push straight-in? Or is it to the side or some other angle?

Thanks!!

SG

·
10,236 Posts
I just push straight... If yours is rather rusty you may try some PBBlaster to loosen it up some!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got 'er open a few minutes ago...just held the handle hard against the frame, pushed the button...and pulled out on the frame edge...bingo.

Dang it's cold out there in the wind up here in Parker!

Later,

SG

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey...

The handle mechanism has fallen-off the upper tailgate of my '92 RRC.

There is now just the hole...and I can see a small "forked" piece in there...but it does not offer any resistance...just floats around.

What method can I use to open it?

I found a used replacement....I suppose I could just detach it at the hinges??

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks,

SG
Just stick a screwdriver in the hole and push - at least that's how I opened the old tailgate on my '95 RRC when my handle came off. I used this method for several months until I finally replaced it with a new one.
You can also use your ignition key although I wouldn't recommend it for the possibility of damaging the key.
Best of luck,
Art Vigil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts