Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my last thread lasted so long, I figured ending it on "I would smoke it" was appropriate.

2004 DII w/ SAI

HG replacement done.

Now,
Codes P0130, P0171, and P1171.

Can anyone step me through how to do a cigar smoke test.
I read alot about folks having done this test, but not a specifics on HOW to perform it.

That is, where do I blow my cuban cigar smoke into?

Thanks in advance.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I have never had any luck just blowing smoke from a cigar into the system - there is a large volume of space to fill up.

I made my own system using very low volume air (I use a compressor choked down but a small air pump would be good too) into a large plastic bottle filled with 3 or 4 incense sticks to produce the smoke. I have a balloon in line to take up any surges in the flow.

I put a layer of cling film over the top of the air filter to block off flow to the air intake snorkel. I pull the idle air bypass hose from the front of the throttle body and plug my smoke hose into the idle air bypass hose spigot. Open the throttle and clamp it open with a vise grips and then let the smoke go.

I'll have to take a video next time I do it - I have a p410 on my mercedes and the methodology is the same irrespective except that has an electronic throttle:grin

works every time for me
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
347 Posts
My dad was a mechanic.

He'd use carb cleaner. When you hit the vacuum leak the engine will speed up. You could start a fire though if you aren't very careful where you spray it. I keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

The other way he did it was using brake cleaner. You need someone to watch the exhaust because when you hit the leak you'll see it come out the exhaust tip. Evidently it doesn't combust with the gas.

Have you checked the vacuum lines for cracks? They like to crack where they go onto the fittings.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Take it to a shop that smokes as a diagnostic procedure on a regular basis. BMW shops use them frequently, the correct tool is many hundreds of dollars & a boat load of cigars will never fill the voids, showing you the leak(s) not to mention you would have to change your name to Blue Boy. Red is correct the proper procedure is smoking, in an efficient manner. It's worth a hours labor to run the test & get a print out.

Doug

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As always, appreciate all the input.

As my cigar days are long long gone and I don't want it to be inconclusive, especially after paying the cost of choking down a few ash tray's worth of cubans...

My shop has a the smoke machine and they will test the o2's themselves, as well. I anticipate money well spent for a proper diagnosis.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I await a time to get to the shop to smoke this truck, my iOBD2 came in the mail so I popped it in.

Below is the fuel trim data. Notice bank 1.
Perfect short term trim of 0 and a long term trim of +25.

Does this suggest, perhaps, the o2 sensor itself is bad?

PS. So far, i like this little obd device. Bluetooth, works on iOS and/or android.
Real time coolant temp: 197 steady.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I am having a hard time expanding you thumbnails clearly so I can read them.

Did you do a code clear / reset after switching out the sensor? If not your long term will be skewed.
Still getting the same codes?
Still awaiting the smoke test I assume?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the data, better pics:

Text Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device

Text Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device

I did a code clear and the new 02 sensor appears to have eliminated the code from recurring.

With that, I am not sure I really still need a smoke test.

Will drive this weekend and see.

Stay tuned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.