Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to change out that grease but from what im hearing is that the classics or pretty much everything 97 and older they used to run ep90 in them cuz it fed fluid from the differential. but i also hear of ppl just putting the one shot grease into them so im confused on the matter of what i should put in.

i have a 1995 classic lwb btw

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
EP90 gear oil should be used in the Series Land Rovers. When the coil sprung Defender (and CV joints) came along in the 80s one shot grease became appropriate.

The problem with one shot grease is when it comes time to replace it - it won't drain out. The swivel housing has to be disassembled in order to clean out all the grease.

Colin

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
"cuz it fed fluid from the differential"

Only if your seals are bad. The oil in the swivel balls should stay in the swivel balls just like the oil in the differentials should stay with the differentials.

The small swivel ball seal that stops ingress and egress of oil from the axle assembly is FTC3276. With it properly in place no oil should move between the swivel and the axle casing.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
x2 what Paul said.

I have used the one shot grease but I off road so it ended up being the death of that hub. So I replace seals and stick with gear lube so I can change the contaminated fluid out.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
The only reason they went to grease was to stop the oil leaks. Oil is a lot better to use if you go off road. It will stop things rusting up a lot better. Grease does not usually spread around as well and leaves spots unprotected, which then rust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.