Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems very quiet here, so I thought I'd post an image of my new project.

'69 Ser IIA front clip to be mated up to a '73 military 109 pickup rear end.

All sitting on a '95 Disco chassis.

This is just the first mockup to figure out how much to take out of the bed. I'm planning on keeping the fuel injection tank and pump, so the bed will be modified to clear.

Havn't decided whether to go with a Series rear x member or just fabricate one that retains the stock 2" receiver.

I'm also trying to figure if I can shorten the V8 so it will fit behind the radiator support when on the stock mounts. I'm familiar with converting the later motors back to Rover P6B length so they can be fitted to MGBs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Very cool! I'm curious about shortening the engine, though. Do you swap out the pump and cover? Do the accessories get moved back as well? Using an electric fan will save some length I imagine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool! I'm curious about shortening the engine, though. Do you swap out the pump and cover? Do the accessories get moved back as well? Using an electric fan will save some length I imagine.
When the alloy V8 was fitted to the Rover P6B, MGB GT V8 and early Morgan +8 it was in the shorter Buick guise. It ran a single fan belt on a short pulley. The alternator was mounted just in front of the RH head.

The mid 90s Disco engine can be converted to this shorter specification by fitting a Rover SD1 front cover and modified harmonic damper machined with a groove which allows fitment of an air conditioned Buick water pump with Chevy pulley.

This is the specification often used for MGB V8 conversions and also for fitting the later engines into an early Morgan +8.

Kelvin.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks. With the Chevy water pump you get to run a real thermostat without the bypass setup, right?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice. since your keeping the efi tank, will you be keeping the electrickery or carbing it?

MMM

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Most guys just move the V8 back if they want to retain the nice Series style grill and not the fugly Defender type.

Another option is the Stage 1 front clip, also much nicer than fugly Defender unit.

Nice project, keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
is there a source for suggested dimensions and locations? bulkhead, motor mounts ect? finding 100 hybrid project pics is easy, but tech details seem to be rare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How are you going with your project? If you re mount the engine and trans 260mm back you can swap the tail shafts straight over, and it gives plenty of clearance for the radiator. Little bit of chopping on the firewall to clear the headers, but not much...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts