Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In June i Bought a 1989 county that didn't run in pacifica , a couple hundred miles from my house in Mammoth. the ad on craigslist said bring a battery, but when i arrived i found the power steering pulley which drives the alternator was broken. i repaired that quickly and got it running but it was rough!
the previous owner commented that it had just gotten a new fuel pump and ecu. it had four good michelins which alone were worth what i paid.
i crept two hundred miles home through yosemite park at 2 am due to bay traffic and stopping frequently for water, idrove really slow, because i sensed the level of neglect this truck had recieved. when i finally went to work, i started with all the fluids, the oil was black, i used castrol gtx 20 50 and was changing it every month to clean it up. the swivel pins were empty except a few drips of black oil. the diffs looked ok but got new oil, the drives shafts got grease the powersteering unit got flushed and filled i flushed out all four brakes with catrol dot 4.i drained and filled the transfer box with penzzoil atf twice. and i flushed and filled the cooling system and installed a super stant 160 f. themostat. then i went after the plugs they were horrible, old champions. they broke when coming out and there was basically nothing left of them. i put in bosch g-power plugs. i also got wires a cap and rotor from british pacific and did that. then i took it out where it was pitch black to look for arching. under the hood it was like the forth of july!!! which gave me confidence in my coil after several reroutes of spark plug wires and loom repositioning i finally got no crossing and no grounding. but i was still getting intermittent stalling with no start. i was told ignition amplifier. i was told fuel pump . so i sprayed a bit of starting fluid in and found it fired up and died and determined it to be the fuel pump. but the previous owner just replaced the fuel pump. hum.... i am not sure how i found it but i was fooling around with a suspected inertia switch and started following the wires back toward the fuel pump and i found a baked wire right after the fusible link(under the carpet behind the center console) i cut that out and put in a new fusible link and it has run solid for 6 months. i timed it to 7 btc and got it smogged. the smog tech said the numbers were real low, like 15 ppm , he said new cars sometimes get higher numbers! i was amazed. he said it was running a little lean. i also had no temp gauge reading so i replaced the sending unit. i am not sure if all rovers a so over cooled but this one has two big electric fan a viscous coupling fan and two oil coolers, the radiator is huge!!!! i didn't even notice until one hot day the gauge was just a notch high, the fans were not kicking in. i replaced the fanswitch and put new push on connectors on the wires. now the truck was running good. i found the EFI light bulb on the dash had been pulled so i replaced it and found it didn't come on, untill a few weeks later something tripped it. now the most troublesome and brainracking problem of all i kept getting an efi light which would sometimes be acompanied by a slightly rough idle , but otherwise it ran fine. i used an ohm meter to test my coolant temp sensor and my fuel rail temp sensor, the coolant temp sensor was a bit funny and at 13 bucks i put in a new one. the mass air flow and throttle position sensors seemed good. i thought maybe ox sensors? i kept resetting the ecu and kept getting this stupid light when the truck ran fine!!!!
i was stumped! well again i am not sure how , but i took out the stepper motor and made it work and cleaned the orifice. and it seemed better for a while then i got the stupid light again and a light misfire , LIKE a LEAN MISS!
voila! i thought that stepper isn't closing up all the way when it should. so i got the napa part ordered up and when it came it was defective! didn't budge
but when i was reading the directions it explained to adjust the stepper mot by length by turning the rod to extend it. i took my old one and turned it all the way in(spring fully compressed ) and then backed it out about a cm. and installed it like that. previously i had always put it back in fully compressed.
well that did it!!!! it runs like a sewing machine and no more efi light. this thing is good in deep snow. this one has a five speed automatic in hi. and a four speed in lo. anyone heard of that on an 89?

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
this one has a five speed automatic in hi. and a four speed in lo. anyone heard of that on an 89?
Actually it has a 4 speed auto in both high and low range the extra shift feeling your getting is probably right about 55 mph and that is the torque converter locking up not a gear change.

Oh and welcome to the asylum and post up some pics

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Dude.
That's awesome!
I love to hear these stories. Rescuing a Rover and for a few hundred dollars and some time you have a great truck to drive around.
I wonder how long the bastard that owned it before you ran those CV joints without oil on them?
And like Army Rover says....
Post up some pics!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i'll post some pics, i'll take some showing it in four feet or so of snow when we get it... it is a total tank traction wise, never owned anything like it, on the other hand she corners like a waterbed!! but Oh well , i Love her.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i'm pretty sure there are five speeds i get a distinct down shift from 5th to fourth going up a steep hill and if i drop the gear selector from D to 3 it shifts down again. let me ask you this, does your classic cruise at 70 at 1700 rpm's and get 23 mpg highway?
i don't know how but its a five speed .

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
LR to the best of my knowledge and research never made a 5 speed auto box in a RRC. It is entirely possible someone put some other tranny in it but I have no idea what it would be especially in a 5 speed.

I've also never heard of a rover that gets 23mpg.

You have a unicorn I guess.

I have no idea what rpms I turn at any given speed tach hasn't worked in 7 years that I have owned it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i heard a rumor about a certain factory worker slipping fifth gears indesciminately into rover trannies something called a "ghost gear" i guess they don't look over their shoulders as hard in england as they do in japan. no idea maybe its a final drive out of another car that had the same size splines, like a jag or something.
it looks like an original tranny... your guess is as good as mine, i know some non-american models came with 5 speed manual trannies... but this has an incredibly high final drive , from what i understand the 4 speed final drive is already pretty high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts