Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure where the rest of the posts went...(I am new to this site).....But I did end up getting a new ring and pinion from the guy who owns "snomasterusa.com" It was his last set. I got a guy in my area who builds rears to put it together, he had to get some custom shims (local machine shop) for it to get the back lash right. Just got it running two days ago, it is still noisy. It is different than it was, it was noisy when under load and decel only, now it is noisy only under load. It is a whine noise, goes away completely when you let off the gas. Very frustrated at this point of course. I have a set of chassis ears (stethascop head set with long wires and aligator clips so you can listen to noises while clamped to things under the car while driving) and the whine noise is coming from the rear diff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They had the same DANA part numbers on them, I took pictures of the too. This thing sucks. I'm about to buy another reman rear maybe from Atlantic British. Its too bad, this one was a reman one from the Rover dealer and it just whines so bad.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
At this point, why not try a used one? By now, the hardware should be easily removed and you have practice removing and reinstalling!

did you replace the bearings, etc as well???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point, why not try a used one? By now, the hardware should be easily removed and you have practice removing and reinstalling!

did you replace the bearings, etc as well???
Like I said, the differential is a reman unit that I bought from the Land Rover Dealer, West Columbia Jag/Rover in Clarksville Maryland. The first reman diff they sent me appeared to have never been cleaned out inside (very dirty inside, fresh coat of paint on the outside). We put it in and within 20 miles the drain plug magnet was full of metal. They warrantied it and provided me with another one, and it is noisy on accel/decel. It whines. Its loud. That was basically the original complaint, noise. I tore it apart and even had another local shop that builds rear end look at it. It appears that the bearings are new and that they bead blasted the ring and pinion gears. The gears already had a pattern to them, so I found a guy who was on this site that had a new ring and pinion set (with a crush sleeve). Put them in, had to get some custom shims made at the machine shop to take out the backlash, put it in the car, noise is louder and only on accel/light load now, quiet on decel. Haven't driven it that much, don't want to break in the new gears too much yet in case I have to pull it back apart again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said, the differential is a reman unit that I bought from the Land Rover Dealer, West Columbia Jag/Rover in Clarksville Maryland. The first reman diff they sent me appeared to have never been cleaned out inside (very dirty inside, fresh coat of paint on the outside). We put it in and within 20 miles the drain plug magnet was full of metal. They warrantied it and provided me with another one, and it is noisy on accel/decel. It whines. Its loud. That was basically the original complaint, noise. I tore it apart and even had another local shop that builds rear end look at it. It appears that the bearings are new and that they bead blasted the ring and pinion gears. The gears already had a pattern to them, so I found a guy who was on this site that had a new ring and pinion set (with a crush sleeve). Put them in, had to get some custom shims made at the machine shop to take out the backlash, put it in the car, noise is louder and only on accel/light load now, quiet on decel. Haven't driven it that much, don't want to break in the new gears too much yet in case I have to pull it back apart again.
Taking it in and out of the car is not a problem. I own a shop, 11 lifts, 6 techs...both are not enough to handle the work we have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Taking it in and out of the car is not a problem. I own a shop, 11 lifts, 6 techs...both are not enough to handle the work we have.
We got 3 used diffs from LKQ (they make deliveries in town every day) that dirt in them (not removed carefully and capped off before shipping) and by spinning them by hand they sounded horrible. Customer originally wanted a used one, but since the kept coming in in bad condition, I talked him into getting the reman one from the dealer. A new one is not available.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
One of my UK vendors shows the complete rear diff assembly available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts