Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 3.5 motor died and i need a replacement! i'm looking for a 3.9 to limit the work but still giving it a little (all though, not by much) boost.

any have a fairly low mileage motor with good compression and oil pressure?

help!

·
Registered
139 Posts
try ebay too for a motor, do not get a 3.9, get 4.0

it is cross bolted. you can get them on
ebay

try to get a long block with as many parts as possible on it. :buttrock:

·
Registered
139 Posts
RPI is very nice..

Alan H said:
Have a look here and import one. You won't pay UK tax either. A 4.6 or up to 6 litre would be just the ticket! they all fit - they're all the same mounts! :eek:
RPI is nice, would be nice to know a Rover engine builder (not buyer of remans) that good in New England. I prefer the pissed off cantancurous (sp) types.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Try this place.. ECR Range Rovers.. I was on their site reading about their 4.6 conversions, and they say they can do it for about the cost of a new 4.2!! They have some kick ass Rovers on their site that they built!

Serg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh yeah.. them.. I would love to just drop off my RRC

there with 40k and have them do what they do.. man o man.

they are good, just a tad pricey.. I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but one stunt like that and I would find myself in divorce court.

I am looking for someone who builds just the motors.. like for not only the Rover but for MGBs and Triumphs.

the rover engine has such a history

·
Registered
1 Posts
Broken Rover Engine

From RPI's web site, it appears that ECR is installing their engine (4.6l or otherwise). One could but their short block 4.6l and use your heads (rebuilt locally) for a cost effective solution. An ECU upgrade would probably be needed as the 4.6 should be getting more fuel. Remember, rebuilding a Rover (Buick) Al V-8 is not rocket science. Do a search on Google for F85, olds Jetfire, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
engine will just have to wait for me anyway.

Alan H said:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ does Rovers, Triumphs, and Land (Range) Rover parts.

Steve Lund is good too as the previous post suggests. http://www.lundengines.com/

Go on, go for it. A new engine is cheaper than a divorce anyway - I know, done it twice! :eek:
I did not do the pre-nup. I hope this gent knows he has a ton of options for his RR engine..

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Upgrade

Hi,What exactly did your 3.5 die of,If it is nothing to serious it could be worth repairing and upgrading it would prove much cheaper than buying and shipping a 3.9.I would fit a new cam,piper 276 is a good profile,tubular exhaust manifolds (headers??) sports exhaust and perhaps even a couple of big valve heads I would expect around 200bhp from a high compression V8 with these mods better mpg and better performance than a 3.9 and the sound would be nice too! :buttrock:

lostinidaho said:
my 3.5 motor died and i need a replacement! i'm looking for a 3.9 to limit the work but still giving it a little (all though, not by much) boost.

any have a fairly low mileage motor with good compression and oil pressure?

help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
rover motor

Hello. I have a 1990 range rover that I am parting out. it runs and drives very well, with 135,000 miles. It is now missing some interior and the radiator. I would sell you the whole car for 2000.00. I am in central Oregon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
this sounds like a good deal..

overrover88 said:
Hello. I have a 1990 range rover that I am parting out. it runs and drives very well, with 135,000 miles. It is now missing some interior and the radiator. I would sell you the whole car for 2000.00. I am in central Oregon.
worth taking this and franken-rovering it. :buttrock:

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Rover Guy in Reno

I have been buying parts from a guy in Reno. He is fast and fair
Brian is his name he is the guy with custom LR logo mud flaps for $10.00 each
[email protected]

Dan Hamren

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the information!

To bring everyone up to date....
It's an 88 RR that had 161K. I really like the ride and agility. We have taken it camping a couple times and it performs great. My wife on the other hand thinks it's kind of ugly. This is mostly due to the lack of an airdam up front. Anyway, I found a 3.9 with 95K and 150psi compression on all pistons. Delivered from Salt Lake City was $2000. The car is currently at the Rover dealer getting tuned up and some other maintenance done but other than that seems fine. I would have loved to done an ECR 4.6 conversion but the money just isn't there. Has anyone heard of a Ford 302 conversion being done? Just curious.
Again, thanks to everyone for all the great information.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
hamrendan said:
I have been buying parts from a guy in Reno. He is fast and fair
Brian is his name he is the guy with custom LR logo mud flaps for $10.00 each
[email protected]

Dan Hamren
Brian is sending me a set of mud flaps to test and do a write up on. I will post it in the "featured product" Section.. (still to be created)

He has a ton of parts and is a good guy.

Serg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts