Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Disco 2 4.0: More or less messed up my transmission today. Well, more; just not quite sure what in it is messed up. Ill provide the story as to how I messed it up ( just to help with an idea) then provide the symptoms.

I have an RV, a 30 foot rv which was loaded down (weighing probably 15k lbs) and stuck. I had no choice to use my rover to snach it from its hole. After about 8 (hard) snatches I freed it up. Here's the fun part.

After the snatches and after id unhooked my truck, it had a funny noise. The sound is like a whiring sound when in neutral/park, but when in gear with my foot on the break is feels kind of like gears slightly rubbing together, as in the teeth just barely touching at a very low rpm. The truck is still driveable but has me very nervous, as I don't have very much experience with transmissions. I am very mechanically capable so this isnt a huge issue, though I may not know each term. If I do not know something I will figure out what it is.

I feel like I may have of stripped something on the inside or broken something loose. I plan on soon checking/changing the fluid soon, but haven't had a chance as this all happened two hours ago.

Edit: transmission was in 4low when I yanked, yet it is still prevalent in 4high. It leads me to thing something to do with the torque converter, or where the transmission connects to the t case

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rover drives fine at any speed I've gone (70 is the fastest I've gone), there aren't any noises unless at a complete stop with the truck in gear and the brake applied. I am not 100% sure it's the transmission, and have toyed with the idea of the tcase, though I am not sure because this is the first 4x4 I have owned, and the only transmission work ive ever done is replacing one and replacing a clutch plate.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vibration is more of something I feel in the floorboard than something audible unless I am accelerating, within the range of about 0-20 mph.

The best thing I can think of is that the output shaft (not the shaft itself but the gears that connect to it) are stripped, thus the reason why in neutral it isn't noticeable.

Side note, when I turn the truck on or off I hear a bit of a knocking around, it sounds similar to if a drive shaft were smacking solid metal. Upon a quick visual inspection ( I had things that had to be done and couldn't be postponed and wasn't at my house, so I couldn't take my fiancees car) I couldn't see anything broken.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And its self inflicted, but I appreciate the empathy. Ive done it with my 2wd 97 expedition with nearly 500k miles with no damage to the truck, so I figured I would be able to do it with the rover. Big mistake, even though I did get the rv moved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.