Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
My 93 RRC went through three brake light switches in one week, I finally ended up disassembling the shifter assembly to the point where I could move the lock out solenoid by hand to shift out of park, i rigged a toggle switch to the brake light wires to control the lights until I could diagnose what the problem was. hit brakes, reach down and flip switch, let off brakes, reach down and turn off switch. It was a pain to drive like that but it got me around for the time being. Turns out the switches were faulty because the fourth one has been in there for 2 years with no problems.

· Registered
1 Posts
Stuck on No Go

This happened to me. It was an easy fix. I had to pop off the wood piece on top of my shifter. In there is a piece that engages a latch. This latch allows the shifter to move forward and backward and must be elevated to move. In my rover, the brad the fastened the latch to the thumb depressor had come off. Simply place it back on (I super glued it after several times popping off while in reverse of all gears) and put the plastic top on the shifter. Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Marteeth, the same thing happened to me but if his brake lights don't work than it's the brake switch.

We have the brake switch in stock but if you need to fix it right away you can bypass the switch by jumping two of the wires. I can't remember which one but you can check on Dweb for the information.

Good luck.

· Registered
128 Posts
Go to the rear door and open it. Look at the passenger side of the glass. See the two terminals there? One is power for the rear glass heat, the other is power for the 3rd brake light. Drop a quarter in there to short the two terminals together. Turn on the rear glass heat, it powers the brake light/shift interlock circuit, shift out of park. Works in a pinch.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
frickjp said:
Go to the rear door and open it. Look at the passenger side of the glass. See the two terminals there? One is power for the rear glass heat, the other is power for the 3rd brake light. Drop a quarter in there to short the two terminals together. Turn on the rear glass heat, it powers the brake light/shift interlock circuit, shift out of park. Works in a pinch.
Never saw that coming........how did you know to do that?

· Registered
128 Posts
LR brake switches are slightly less than, shall we say, reliable. We get this phone call on occasion. It's a simple solution that most folks can accomplish. Everyone has a quarter. It beats some grease covered tow truck monkey dragging it up on the rollback with the truck in park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.