Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I was so very proud of myself, I replaced the cap and rotor and got it started and was so very happy and was thinking about my next "fix rover project" (I have to replace the coolant sensor ). Yesterday I'm toodling along and start to go up a hill (more like a small incline) and it starts to sputter, I smell gas, and the battery light comes on (I actually wish it had a warning light for every little thing that could go wrong - it would make the hunt for what is wrong much easier). So I pull over, mostly because the fuel smell scared the crap out of me (3 years ago I had a car catch on fire while I was driving it) and I turned it off. Checked the fuel button underneath the seat to see if it tripped - no. Checked fueses - everything okay. Turned the ignition switch to listen for the fuel pump - all good. And then called the towing service, sat and cried (I'm a girl and aloud to do that when my rover won't run) and then put on my "I can do anything face" and lifted the hood to inspect for anything that I could see wrong - nothing. A well meaning mechanic came along and roughly diagnosed my problem as the alternator - I really don't think so. It's now sitting at a mechanic's shop who I interrogated yesterday evening after being towed home about how much he knows about range rovers and does he have a lot of experience - he says he does. I've spent half the day talking to other mechanically enclined people that I know (of course none of them live nearby) and then the mechanic where my rover now sits. I was told that they tried to start it, it cranked, but there was a heavy gas smell. My husband just replaced all of the gas line front to back last month after it had a leak from old hose. And yes, he did replace it with exactly the right, and very expensive, hose. So now after my very long rambling (I'm really frustrated) I need to know if anyone else has had this problem? What should I expect from the mechanic (this is my very first experience with a mechanic because my husband and I do all of our auto work)? I did tell him that I did not want aftermarket junky parts (actually said that) put on it and he told me that some parts are hard to find and I was just going to have to trust him - that was not at all comforting. Is there more rubber hose for the fuel line than what is on the underside of the vehicle that appears to connect to the fuel injection system? I just really don't want to get a call from the mechanic and have him say something like "your farfegnugen is broken and it's going to cost you $1000 to replace it" I did make a list of things we've replace recently (it seems like something new every other month). UGH!!! :mad:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Are you able to determine a general location the fuel smell is coming from: Under the hood, the rear of the truck, etc. is there fuel leaking anywhere that you were able to see? Maybe the pressure regulator went bad and it is just dumping fuel into the motor, and flooding it? Hang in there, and I am sure you will get some good answers here. :drink1:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm feeling stupid?

Did anyone else know that you could put a cap (cap & rotor) on backwards? That's what the mechanic said was wrong and the rotor is actually in two pieces now. But my baby is up and running! Yea!!! :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
CurvyRover said:
Did anyone else know that you could put a cap (cap & rotor) on backwards? That's what the mechanic said was wrong and the rotor is actually in two pieces now. But my baby is up and running! Yea!!! :D
Ok we'll buy that the rotor was on backwards, since it broke - that happened to mine - butI call BS on the cap being backwards ;)

Glad you are up and running and I'll have to email you pictures of my new Fuel pump switch! :eek: It's very "aeronautical"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kinda weird huh?

It ran just fine for a whole week too - I'm so impressed (not with myself of course) Oh, and what I said was an exhaust leak and my husband swears is a noisy lifter is indeed an exhaust leak - that's one more for the girls (not that we're keeping score though right?) :clap:

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Good job.
Keep score. It works at my house....

Current score in the 3rd quarter with OkieRover driving on the 34 yard line...
OkieRover 23
Okie's Wife 987

Cap on backwards?.... :shifty:
Rotor on backwards?... :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.