Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the most undependable air ride system there is..it is a disgrace for such a high dollar vehicle to have such a crappy system as this..they should be sued or made to fix them correctly for the price they charge for them..I have read rangerover.net front to rear..better than nothing but kinda vague on alot of things..first off where the air enters the front left bag by a plastic hose was leaking..i cut the end off a little & reinstalled & it still leaked very lil..not as bad as before but would leak down overnight..well one cold day the system finally went bad & hard faulted (i guess) compressor wont come on & all lights are on where the adjusyer inside is & rearend went high in offroad mode & frontend went on the snubbers..we have drove it this way as our only transportation as of now with kid seat & all..well tonight i have worked with it for hours..removed relay in fuse box & put 12v to the output & yes the compressor works..reainstalled & removed wire harness from suspension computer & crossed out the wires rangerover.net told me to & it wouldnt raise..lifted front with a jack to help it out & nothing..so i unhooked air compressor hose & crossed out the wires & hooked a bigger compressor to it to where i know it had enough air to it & still nothing..what gives? this is the biggest pain in the azz..if..if...IF..I ever get this dang thing fixed I will go back to my dependable chevrolet tahoe..looks like a trip to the land rover dealer & a big checkbook..please if anyone has any more ideas or a phone# of someone else i can call..sorry for such language but as much as you have to pay for these dang things & this pissy azz problem..Im just so very mad at it because nothing at all is even working right..
Brian

I dont want to go to coil springs either as I think it will hurt the resale of it & I do like the air ride in a 4x4..just looking for a way for me to fix as much as I can & yes I am very mechanically inclined..I guess Im dumber than the unitelligent system..so far its winning..
Brian

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hate to tell you this but the coil spring conversion doesn't decrease the value - it will actually increase the perceived value versus an EAS in the same condition. Sounds like a bad egg, without major $$ being spent on rewiring/rehosing the entire system you are left with the conversion. Traditionalists like John at rangerover.net will usually advise to repair/replace the EAS - I actually agree. However to avoid headaches and major issues most replace with coils.

A word of advice - If it "houses" your wife and kid/s I would get it done tomorrow - the potential for a major rollover/accident exists by driving around without an operational system. GOOD LUCK :drive:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any ideas of anyone i could call for more help..I have checked that the compressor comes on from fuse box..swapped relays to check for bad relay..checked pine 13 for any voltage to rule out a bad pressure switch..according to recipts in the glove box about a year ago the valve block was replaced by rangerover..I have crossed out the 4 wires under drivers seat to try to pump up one side & nothing happens..i have crossed out the 3 wires & hooked up my own compressor to rule the strength of mine & it wont pump up..what are the chances a solenoid could cause both front bags from filling?
Thanks,Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jonesy>> I would think it would hurt the value but it may not..I am just bothered to not be able to figure out anything..I have crossed out pin 8& 1 on the computer harness to fill the tank & check pin 13 for 12 volts(when 150psi is in there) I let it run 10 min & nothing..am I doing something wrong? If the bags are toast fine I will replace but why is the tank not filling?
Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now the back end is down on bump stops..dont know how that happened..Ive tried everything..guess its going to land rover in the next week & take out a loan to fix it..I give up

·
Registered
79 Posts
Usually if the system hard faults, you cannot get it going again without connection to Testbook/Rovacom. I say usually, because some people have had luck with refilling the tank (which you have done) and the system resetting itself. What you might try is disconnecting the battery for a bit, or cycling the ignition on and off a number of times. As far as why the rear has now lowered, the system checks every 6 hours and lowers all side to the same level as the lowest corner to keep level. If you do decide to keep the air suspension, and even as a short-term cheap fix for your current problem, you should install one of the nice EAS bypass systems such as MARS. They are cheap, easy to install, and allow you to directly fill the airbags via any air hose or even a manual bike pump. You would want to make sure the connections are not leaking though, which is fairly easy to do.

-Coach

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
If it's any consolation I like the ride of my springs better than the air system my Rover used to have.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Coils are the way to go..

I have OME springs on my 93 LWB with a 2 or 3 inch lift, and the car still handles well.. My parents bought this same year car when it first came out, and although its fun to play with the settings, and its a great system when new, the bottom line is that you want to make your rover as reliable as possible. That means spending the grand to put in springs... Hey you may be able to get some of that money back by selling the bag parts, and if you can instal them yourself you save more.. the kits go for about $650.00 maybe less depending on what you put in there... Hey its low tech, but it will NEVER fail you! Put money into the air system and i guarantee you one thing.. you will put MORE money into it down the road! If you put springs and new shocks in now.. you will have 100K miles of worry free driving with them, and if you put in Bilstien shocks they are guranteed for LIFE.. I replaced them on my 88 RR twice!!
HTH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Coils are def the way to go

I just converted my 98 4.6 with 112,000 miles to coils and springs. ride is good, and the value is up. a buyer of a used rover ...if they know anything ...knows that the greatest risk is the eas system. if converted that risk is gone :wave:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get Springy and you'll fall in luv with wife range rover

The EAS is a good invention when its working and it needs looking after and maintainance. If its break down its not a cheap fix especially if you are not handy with your hand. Learning from my friends I had the EAS in my 2000 Range Rover converted to spring at the first sign of trouble.Did all the work myself in my driveway, took about 4 hrs without help and cost less than $800 which is what I spent to buy the spring. Its being about 18 months since the conversion, no problem and the ride is better. Compare to about $2000 to $3000 it may cost if I had taken the car to the dealer to have the EAS fix, I would recommend spring conversion anytime. Converting does not devalue the car, ask any Range Rover owner. :)

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Springs.
See here is what you do....
Get springs and pull all that EAS out and sell it on Ebay. You'll more than recover the cost of the springs you bought.

When I first got my 93 LWB the air ride gave me trouble and I took it back to the shop I bought it from. He said, "It's a common problem, I'll fix it."
When I picked it up I looked under and noticed the springs, I though what the? I called him and he said, I pulled it out, now it's fixed. I guess he took the computer and sold it with the working air bags and I didn't pay anything for the springs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts