Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Aloha

I have a [email protected] air filter, I pump my wheels up to 40 PSI. And when I am in stop and go traffic I keep my RPM's at or below 2000 RPM. I also cost from one light to the other. I do not do the 2 block drag race. And when I get on the high way I take my time if I can. I rarely go over 60 MPH now days. I hope this will help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ditto on the air filter, tires, and driving technique.
How are your spark plugs and fuel injectors? They may need some attention.
Another possible improvement you might try is engine oil. Lower weight oil will reduce oil flow resistance compared to a thicker weight, and help your MPG. Using a quality synthetic oil may reduce engine friction over petroleum based oil, also increasing engine efficiency. These benefits can also be applied to your drivetrain as well.
Less resistance=better fuel economy

·
Registered
528 Posts
i get 9 mpg with conservative driving. That's what 155k, 33" m/t's, and a 2" suspension lift with do to your 3.9L on a 95 disco. If anyone has any tips on better fuel economy, other tan K&N filter, please let me know, they would most likely be worth the investment.

·
2,986 Posts
I was getting around 9mpg on a consistant basis.. I cleaned out my radiator (was clogged with ton of mud from dropping into a hole), cleaned my K&N [pretty dusty from the conditions i go in].. and most importantly, turned off my A/C.. last tank I had, I got 11.8mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
gas milage

I normally get 15.5 to 16 on day to day driving and have gotten 17 on long trips. Thats running 255/70 R16's, 2" lift and ARB brushbar and winch. I had to apply a correction factor of about 3.5% for the larger tyres. I used my GPS on a 50 mile stretch of highway and compared it to my odometer.
I normally burn 91 octane though I have to make it my self by blending 1/2 tank of 89 with 1/2 tank of 93. I used to burn the cheap stuff but after replacing the engine I figured it was a small price to pay. I don't think the gas had anything to do with the cracked block but why take any chances.
I put the K&N filter back on last week but dont think it really makes any differance. I run full synthetic oil, keep the tyres well inflated and drive like I have a bowl of goldfish on the seat next to me. i.e. no fast starts/stops.

Greg H

·
Registered
777 Posts
AzCamel said:
might be a stupid question but can you use regular unleaded? has anyone had any real world experience?
I have been to New Mexico on a regular basis. They only have 89 octane in some places and others I was only able to find 88. So yes I have run lower Octane fuel with no adverse experience. It has been about five months since then and no check engine (Knock on wood)!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I run 285/75/16 BFG ATs, 3" lift, winch and other accessories (some of my accessories are stronger than stock but lighter). I get 12.5 mpg.

For those of you getting around 10 mpg make sure your O2 sensors are good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
RoverChic said:
I have been to New Mexico on a regular basis. They only have 89 octane in some places and others I was only able to find 88. So yes I have run lower Octane fuel with no adverse experience. It has been about five months since then and no check engine (Knock on wood)!
awsome, the highest octane here is 91. I pump my gas at costco and it is either regular 87 or premium 91, i will try half a tank of 87 next time and see what happends, heck at prices where they are now that is about $5 savings.

·
2,986 Posts
Use premium.. use super/ultra/etc.. at the gas station..

Money Wise: Figure a tank (on a Disco2) is 23 gallons.. estimate you fill it once a week.. there is generally a $0.20 difference between regular and premium.. so thats an additional $4.60/week, or an additional $239.20/yr.

Tech wise: your truck should have a knock sensor which will adjust to the lower octane, but therefore, it will adjust the ignition to compensate for the fuel octane.. but by doing that, you'll be running at lesser performance (read, less mpg).

So, A) it's not a signifcant amount of savings, especially when you compare it to how much it'll cost to get a new engine if anything does go wrong, and B) you'll be getting lower mpg's therefore almost negating the cost difference.

Will it work? Yeah.. I know some people who have been running regular for 100k+ miles on their discos w/o problems.. but personally I wouldnt.

·
Registered
777 Posts
rmuller said:

Money Wise: Figure a tank (on a Disco2) is 23 gallons.. estimate you fill it once a week.. there is generally a $0.20 difference between regular and premium.. so thats an additional $4.60/week, or an additional $239.20/yr.

Tech wise: your truck should have a knock sensor which will adjust to the lower octane, but therefore, it will adjust the ignition to compensate for the fuel octane.. but by doing that, you'll be running at lesser performance (read, less mpg).

So, A) it's not a signifcant amount of savings, especially when you compare it to how much it'll cost to get a new engine if anything does go wrong, and B) you'll be getting lower mpg's therefore almost negating the cost difference.

Will it work? Yeah.. I know some people who have been running regular for 100k+ miles on their discos w/o problems.. but personally I wouldnt.
I never get lower miles per gallon. Never. In fact when I used the 88 Octane in New Mexico (Ruidoso), my miles per gallon went up. That could be due to altitude though, not sure. My advice run 89. In most states you will find 87, 89, 91 or 93. In New Mexico it is usually 86 or 88, maybe 90 (if you can find a Shell). There are several members of our local club who run 87 and never have had a problem. On the flip side, you might be the unlucky chap who 'pings'. ;)

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
rmuller said:

x2 This is pretty much exactly what Jeff at JCRover4x4 said on the subject. Our very own Okie had a similar take on same debate going on at Solihull's site.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Greg H said:
I normally get 15.5 to 16 on day to day driving and have gotten 17 on long trips. Thats running 255/70 R16's, 2" lift and ARB brushbar and winch. I had to apply a correction factor of about 3.5% for the larger tyres. I used my GPS on a 50 mile stretch of highway and compared it to my odometer.
I normally burn 91 octane though I have to make it my self by blending 1/2 tank of 89 with 1/2 tank of 93. I used to burn the cheap stuff but after replacing the engine I figured it was a small price to pay. I don't think the gas had anything to do with the cracked block but why take any chances.
I put the K&N filter back on last week but dont think it really makes any differance. I run full synthetic oil, keep the tyres well inflated and drive like I have a bowl of goldfish on the seat next to me. i.e. no fast starts/stops.

Greg H
I seem to get the same mileage so I must be doing something right with my 97 :clap:

:) I have been using PLUS gas, typically I got the high test. I hope I am not ruining my truck. What would ahppen if I used regular?

·
2,986 Posts

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
How are you guys?
I just got back from a trip to ATL GA. on the way there I did 18.2Mpg, 16.7MPG( my friend drove ) , 17.8Mpg, and 19.5 MPG .

Basicly I pomped up the tires to 45psi in the back and 35psi in the front . Hard ride and bouncy as hell in NYC . Also I had to travel at 80mph to 90 mph to keep up with the RufRiders Car club devition ( i'm kind of a member ) . So average speed was actually like 75mph going to ATL .
Oh I had 3 people in the truck and bagages for the weekend :) .

On the way back I only got 16.8, 16.9, and 17.5MPG ( I did less stops and I drove with out the club ) . Oh going to ATL toke us 36 Houers with the club ( 20 other cars ) , but going home to CT it toke me only 17 houers and we were stuck in NYC strafic and i think we were also in Virginia traffic .

BTW Harbes or what ever Burgers are asome :) .

P.S. My driving style was . Don't go pass 2.5krpms when accelerating , But once in overdrive and the tranny would not shift , just get up to that 70, 80mph.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have been commuting between Jersey City and No. Reading Massachusetts every week for a few weeks and now the fuel consumption has become a big issue as the prices are going through the roof. The points every one keeps making regarding tire pressure, oil changes, clean filters, and driving habits are the key to better fuel consumption and vehicle longevity. I am getting around 450 miles to the tank of gas on the highway by being really careful about driving habits and maint. This comes out to about 18 mpg and I am very happy with that number. When my fiancee drives she gets about 12 mpg because she floors it and slams on the brakes every three seconds. By the way my truck is a 2000 with 84000 miles.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
On my RRC i did a few things:
1. K&N filter
2. The "tornado" (which helped a lot on highway, a little in city)
3. Tune up, with Bosch Supers spark plugs Part# 7506, (it's not what the computer say to use though)
4.Keep up on basic maint..
5. Every 3000 i put Lucas fuel system cleaner in my tank
6. Don't know if it helps gas too much but, i run synthetic fluids in everything(trans, axles, oil, pwr steer)

I get an average of 13 m.p.g city/19 m.p.g. highway
Another Trick is a snorkel, they work a little like a cold air intake, but that is an extreme measure

I currenty have around 165,000 miles on my '92

·
Registered
61 Posts
Funrover said:
On my RRC i did a few things:
1. K&N filter
2. The "tornado" (which helped a lot on highway, a little in city)
3. Tune up, with Bosch Supers spark plugs Part# 7506, (it's not what the computer say to use though)
4.Keep up on basic maint..
5. Every 3000 i put Lucas fuel system cleaner in my tank
6. Don't know if it helps gas too much but, i run synthetic fluids in everything(trans, axles, oil, pwr steer)

I get an average of 13 m.p.g city/19 m.p.g. highway
Another Trick is a snorkel, they work a little like a cold air intake, but that is an extreme measure

I currenty have around 165,000 miles on my '92
So the Tornado thing works? um...did you really notice any performance gain? and as far as gas meliage, what did you notice?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.