Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from West Coast British. The guy I talked to was really blunt and I appreciated that. I'm getting the Mallory 24 degree advance distributor, does that sound about right?

Along with some other odds and ends I'm buying another set of spark plug wires because one of them won't connect to the cap at all now, it just sits on it. I have no clue what the last mechanic could have possibly done to it, but we just replaced the wires in September so I'm not thrilled with shelling our more money for new ones.

He mentioned checking the pressure in the fuel line to check if the fuel pump is working right. I'm going to ask the mechanic to do that as well. We dropped the tank a few months ago thinking that there may be something in it (there wasn't) but all looked well and you can hear it hum when you turn the key right before starting the engine. I've read about problems with the fuel pump in other year models, but not so much in '89 - is that right?

My RR started right up today - tempermental thing, but I'm not trusting it to act nice so it'll have to sit until the parts come and it goes to the mechanic. At least I can look out the window and admire it :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
If you are planning to install the distributor yourself you will have to take the distributor drive gear off the bottom of your current distributor and mount it to the Mallory because it is sold without the gear. This is probably a job that you should have a machine shop do only because drilling through the steel shaft on the Mallory is not something you want to screw up. I don't know if the guy from WCB mentioned this to you when you bought the Mallory.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Sorry you have had such trouble.....Sounds like you have it figured out though!!...That is a nice set up you are going with!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.