Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am used to my 2 LR3's that use 7.8 quarts of oil. I forgot the amount of oil needed for the D2 and with all this masks wearing crap, distancing and trying to hear in a noisy shop. I told him about 6.5, he put in about 6.4.
I am using Rotella 15W40 as usual and Mobil1 Filter 301 which is longer (wondering what the capacity is)?
Hope I did not add too much.
Dave.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
You’re probably a bit overfilled but not drastically
Start her up and check where it reads on the dipstick 🧐

·
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’re probably a bit overfilled but not drastically
Start her up and check where it reads on the dipstick 🧐
I just checked it while cold, its past the Full line and it's on the F letter of Full, but not past F, so wondering if I should take off filter, let some oil drain out and replace long filter Mobil 1 301 or with the Mobil Short Filter 204. ?
Dave

·
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took filter off, dumped some oil, replaced filter and its now just below the oil line.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, if in doubt, drain some of the oil out because the last thing you need is "hydraulic lock" caused by oil backing up into the cylinders. An idiot bloody mechanic did that to my 93 RR SE, causing massive problems, including a tow truck to a different service place

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
35 Posts
My D2 was filled about 5 inches PAST the max fill line on the dipstick when I got it. I was shocked it didn't lock up. Not sure why it was like that, but that is how it was. Changed the oil (filled to the proper level!) and she has been running great. I wouldn't worry about that little over max fill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts