Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drives like a RRS, it has power and is nimble for a V6 super charged. It will work for those who want a RRS with a larger boot area. The back is enormous and cavernous not as tall as the D3/4, but seemed longer by just a few inches. The seats don't really fold flat like the D3/4. Lot's of modern tech. No truck feel like the D3/4. The D5 is more like a giant crossover station-wagon or a suv like minivan as my lady called it on steroids. Amazing that it drives so light for such a large car, yes car, because its no longer a truck or at least for me and my lady since we both own LR3's. The style grows own you once you look at it in lifted off road mode. I think it will suit a lot of families. Its a family car that can go anywhere. Making the D3/LR3 look like a classic modern Land Rover truck. The back seats are too low and too short for my legs at 5'11. more like for shorter people, but the front seats are really comfy.
Dave

·
VW Dieselgate beneficiary
85 Posts
Drives like a RRS, it has power and is nimble for a V6 super charged. It will work for those who want a RRS with a larger boot area. The back is enormous and cavernous not as tall as the D3/4, but seemed longer by just a few inches. The seats don't really fold flat like the D3/4. Lot's of modern tech. No truck feel like the D3/4. The D5 is more like a giant crossover station-wagon or a suv like minivan as my lady called it on steroids. Amazing that it drives so light for such a large car, yes car, because its no longer a truck or at least for me and my lady since we both own LR3's. The style grows own you once you look at it in lifted off road mode. I think it will suit a lot of families. Its a family car that can go anywhere. Making the D3/LR3 look like a classic modern Land Rover truck. The back seats are too low and too short for my legs at 5'11. more like for shorter people, but the front seats are really comfy.
Dave
Amazing what a 1,000lb diet will do for the driving dynamics, eh?

I thought the 2nd row seats were nice coming from a German marque...they're not RR thrones, but they'll do nicely. Plenty of legroom back there too. I liked the front seats very much also. The one I sat in had the standard 14-way seats. I spec'd mine with the upgraded 16-way seats - not sure how they'll differ, but that's, like, 14% more ways!

I recently sat in a 2017 Volvo V90 and an XC90, and what used to be the best seats in the auto industry in our '09 XC70 have lost something in their latest iteration. The Disco's chairs aren't quite as good but they're pretty close for a comparable (or better) price - the V90 T6 was $70k and the XC90 T8 was $87k. Add in the go-anywhere capability and the Discovery is hard to beat.

I don't particularly care about the 3rd row since we didn't spec ours with one - that's extra weight for little use to us - but those who need/want it, it was as comfortable as the reviews say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The seats don't really fold flat like the D3/4.
Hello Dave. I'm hardly a authority on much at all of Land Rovers, but I am planning to buy one of these Discovery's this fall so have been reading a lot about them.

For what you mentioned, I read somewhere where the middle row (if its a 7 seater) seats can fold pretty flat but how this works is that when you use the fold control system, first it stops at one point where it is not completely flat, but then if you press the down button again or hold it or something like that...it will go a little further.

Not sure if its 100% flat, but its supposed to go more.

For what I read the reason for this is LR pretty much does not want this done to much as they say that if you leave it in this position for to long you void the warranty on if the leather of the seats can get a permanent crease in them as apparently that extra bit can push them in enough that can happen, so that is why it is set up that way.

For all this I have no idea if its true as I have yet to take one for a drive, but I hope too in a few weeks, (am just working too many Saturdays at the moment).

So was just wondering if you already knew about this and or tried it if you did as I was hoping to confirm if it was true and if so just how flat they get.

Thanks

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Dave. I'm hardly a authority on much at all of Land Rovers, but I am planning to buy one of these Discovery's this fall so have been reading a lot about them.

For what you mentioned, I read somewhere where the middle row (if its a 7 seater) seats can fold pretty flat but how this works is that when you use the fold control system, first it stops at one point where it is not completely flat, but then if you press the down button again or hold it or something like that...it will go a little further.

For what I read the reason for this is LR pretty much does not want this done to much as they say that if you leave it in this position for to long you void the warranty on if the leather of the seats can get a permanent crease in them as apparently that extra bit can push them in enough that can happen, so that is why it is set up that way.

For all this I have no idea if its true as I have yet to take one for a drive, but I hope too in a few weeks, (am just working too many Saturdays at the moment).

So was just wondering if you already knew about this and or tried it if you did as I was hoping to confirm if it was true and if so just how flat they get.

Thanks

Not fully flushed flat, still bit of an incline.
Dave

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Dave

Sorry for not being sure, but are you saying it was still not fully flush flat even for the second lower position I was talking about?
To my eyes yes. The D5's are at the US LR dealers already go check one out.
Dave

·
85 Posts
The seats don't really fold flat like the D3/4.

Thanks
The pre-production model I saw at my dealer had a 2nd row that folded completely flat. I laid in the back because if it's just me on expeditions I'll sometimes just sleep back there rather than deal with a tent, and I wanted to check head/leg room. I don't recall a 2nd press, and there was no second press when folding from the front touchscreen, they just went all the way down. The bottom cushions and the seat backs are pretty flat already - the RRS rear bench is actually much more plush, so I wouldn't expect as much compression of the leather on the Discovery. The 2nd row bench is not uncomfortable, mind, just not *as* comfortable as the RRS.

This was a pre-production model, however, so with the miles they've put on these test cars maybe they've seen some extra wear and tear on the leather.

Question - LR has shown a 40/20/40 (35/30/35?) split 2nd row on social media, but seems US versions are only getting 60/40? I never saw an option for anything other than 60/40...

Mine starts its trip down the assembly line in a few weeks, should have it by mid-August, just in time for a family expedition to Wyoming for the eclipse....

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I recently drove the new Discovery. It will take awhile to get used to but I believe this vehicle will out perform the LR4 off road.
It is already 1,000 pounds lighter and has almost two more inches of ground clearance. I am doing some mods to one now and will have more feedback.
Hoping do get a off road trip in one soon. More to come.

·
85 Posts
I recently drove the new Discovery. It will take awhile to get used to but I believe this vehicle will out perform the LR4 off road.
It is already 1,000 pounds lighter and has almost two more inches of ground clearance. I am doing some mods to one now and will have more feedback.
Hoping do get a off road trip in one soon. More to come.
Have you taken delivery of one? What mods will you do? My local retailer now has a Td6 demo, haven't had time to get behind the wheel yet. Should get mine in August.

One of the first upgrades I'll make is to put some true AT tires on it, likely 275/55-20's. Will probably affect handling, fuel economy, and bump compliance on the road as any true AT tire is about 4lbs heavier, but I don't really care.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you taken delivery of one? What mods will you do? My local retailer now has a Td6 demo, haven't had time to get behind the wheel yet. Should get mine in August.

One of the first upgrades I'll make is to put some true AT tires on it, likely 275/55-20's. Will probably affect handling, fuel economy, and bump compliance on the road as any true AT tire is about 4lbs heavier, but I don't really care.

I believe that the AT tire of choice is the Duratrac 255 55 20 by LR they are doing extensive tests with it at the moment I read somewhere.
I always prefer an AT tire taller than wider since you always need to air down for sand or rocks. Maybe there is a 255 60 20. 275 55 20 is close.
Dave

·
85 Posts
I believe that the AT tire of choice is the Duratrac 255 55 20 by LR they are doing extensive tests with it at the moment I read somewhere.
I always prefer an AT tire taller than wider since you always need to air down for sand or rocks. Maybe there is a 255 60 20. 275 55 20 is close.
Dave
The DuraTrac is actually an MT tire. I like a little more road capability, so I run AT tires. I'm on-road probably 85-90% of the time, but when I go off-road, I want the peace of mind to know that my tires will get me home. I also don't want to deal with a third set of wheels/tires since I run dedicated snows in winter. Can't find tires at 255/60-20 or 255/65-20, so it was either 265/60-20 (limited options, very expensive) or 275/55-20...and I agree, I'd rather have a larger volume and more surface area for sand/mud/rocks.

I currently run Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar on my Touareg, and they seem like a good balance - they've handled razor-sharp New Mexico caliche and Colorado Rockies mud and rock, and they last a long time. I was looking at the Conti TerrainContact A/T, or perhaps the Dynapro AT-M. Lots of people here in CO swear by the Dynapro.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The DuraTrac is actually an MT tire. I like a little more road capability, so I run AT tires. I'm on-road probably 85-90% of the time, but when I go off-road, I want the peace of mind to know that my tires will get me home. I also don't want to deal with a third set of wheels/tires since I run dedicated snows in winter. Can't find tires at 255/60-20 or 255/65-20, so it was either 265/60-20 (limited options, very expensive) or 275/55-20...and I agree, I'd rather have a larger volume and more surface area for sand/mud/rocks.

I currently run Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar on my Touareg, and they seem like a good balance - they've handled razor-sharp New Mexico caliche and Colorado Rockies mud and rock, and they last a long time. I was looking at the Conti TerrainContact A/T, or perhaps the Dynapro AT-M. Lots of people here in CO swear by the Dynapro.
I was thinking of getting the GY Wranglers Adventurers in the 255 65 18 for the 18" rims or the 255 60 19 for the 19' rims, but not sure how they handle the heavy LR3. Have read too many pluses and minuses and not one person has them on their LR3/4's also a costly tire.
I had Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 255 60 18's Great all around tire for road and off. I suggests these for you in the 20's. Also the Falken ATW3 new AT tire great reviews.
Dave

·
85 Posts
I was thinking of getting the GY Wranglers Adventurers in the 255 65 18 for the 18" rims or the 255 60 19 for the 19' rims, but not sure how they handle the heavy LR3. Have read too many pluses and minuses and not one person has them on their LR3/4's also a costly tire.

I had Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 255 60 18's Great all around tire for road and off. I suggests these for you in the 20's. Also the Falken ATW3 new AT tire great reviews.
Dave
I forgot about the Nittos - great looking tire also. Nice square profile. A few bucks cheaper per tire than the GY's on discounttiredirect.com

The GY's are expensive - over $200 in 275/55-20 (thanks to the kevlar). I have 255/65-17's on my Touareg, which weighs about 5,500 lbs, lightweight as compared to the LR3/4. While the Conti's don't have Kevlar-branded protection, they still have aramid in the construction - same thing - and they're a bit cheaper, which is why I'm looking at them. Makes for a heavy tire and stiff ride on shorter sidewalls, but is MT-tire tough with AT-tire on-road feel, and you can usually run higher pressures for highway cruising which might help the vehicle feel more planted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.