Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i was messing with my rover..it was haveing a few issues...i decided to spray caburator cleaner into the intake..figured it couldnt hurt...wrong...i had a small explosion...and a little fire...truck was running..and still was...checked it out...didnt find anything i could see...but developed a oil leak...a good one...turns out it blew out the back side of my intake gasket...i can only guess it was leaking into the top of the motor and somehow blew up...truck still drives and runs great,,,,it is setting right now...till i replace the gasket...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i installed a new intake gasket...was way easy...when i took it apart i dismantled the plentnum but to pull it you have to remove the stepper motor housing.it is connected to the plentnum with 3 small bolts ..then just set the top assembly to the side with everything connected....then removed the trumpets...then i took the fuel rail loose and with the injectors still connected set it to the side....but before i did that...i toke stuff loose like water lines and vacume hoses and what not... and for the dist cap i just took one side of the spark plug wires loose and set to side... i marked them 1 2 3 4 for the left bank..then removed the intake and cleaned it up good... and the intake side of the heads... i used denatured alcohol to clean...then i used avation cement and covered the head side and where end gasket set... let it tack and then applied red rtv silocone around water ports and on end gasket... then did the same to it intake gasket... i did this on all sides... a little over kill but its what i did.... i lined up the intake with 4 of the bolts and installed the end seal covers and bolted them down...then after i installed the intake i torked it to spec... three times over two days...it was something i read...anyway... after i reattached all the hoses and stuff... and changed the oil.... it cranked right up... was awsome....took for long test drive.so far no leaks....i think my one advantage is a large garage .. and no need to rush....i can remove something and set it down... and leave it for however long..and no one mess with it...now thats over... on to the next something...
mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts