Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is with deep sadness that I must sell my LR2. At 55k miles I have now had major rear dif, transmission and now engine problems. Last week the red oil pressure light came on. I pulled over and the thing was almost bone dry. I am due but not over due for an oil change. And have seen no leaks. I don't know what the heck happened to the engine between April and now...Perhaps drag from the rear diff cause the engine to burn oil? IDK but I would have thought the dealer would have checked that. The power seat broke and I paid to have it fixed and the door locks only work part of the time. The car has been properly maintained, stored in the garage and only driven on pavement. It has never been hit by lightening. I have never had an accident or towed anything. My $40,000 luxury SUV is now only worth $13,000 (if all things check out by the mechanic) on a trade in, even though KBB is quoting close to $17,000 for a dealer trade in. Even my Land Rover dealer is only offering $13,000 for it.

I will be leasing for the rest of my life. Car ownership is not for me. AWD Traverse here I come.

1,855 Posts
I dont understand why people buy LR2's. It's the lower end of the Land Rover line. Better to buy a LR3 or Range Rover. My LR3 has been great! at now almost 90K 3 cross country trips in ice storms, off roading in 116F for 7hrs and no major issues!

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
All vehicles require service inspection every 3 months or 3000 miles. Should be periodically checking fluids roughly every other fill up. This type of service only makes sense and is in your best interest to protect your investment. Not to say that every problem can be caught before it happens but regular service will surely reduce costly breakdowns. April til now is is not good regular maintenance! Just because it did not leak and leave a puddle is no excuse.
Sorry for your bad luck due to ignorance

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh...less than 5 month of expressway driving is well within both the time and recommended mileage standards for an LR2. The car was well-maintained and babied. The only thing I could have done was to check the oil myself in between changes. I usually do, but it was in the dealer so much that I did not think about it. But you are right...I am ignorant.. for buying the POS in the first place.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also found this sadly interesting. The new LR2's are in the mid to high $30s. The Traverse I leased was around $38K...so relatively the same price as the LR2. Traverse lease $380/month. To lease a new LR2 was over $600/month. Why? The residuals on these cars are terrible because there are so many known issues. I think if Land Rover wants to earn back customers like me then they need to offer longer warranties. I had my heart set on a full-sized Range Rover as my next car and I'm really sad that it didn't work out. I just loved the way the LR2 felt to drive and how well it got us through a horrible winter.

· Registered
41 Posts
Sorry, on the engine failure I've no sympathy. There is a dipstick prominently positioned under the hood that is used for checking the oil level between services. Some dealers even supply a small bottle of oil for topping up if the oil level drops. If the car had been properly maintained between services, and the oil level checked on a weekly basis as recommended in the owners manual, you'd have known that there is often a small amount of oil consumed during normal running.
As for why people buy the LR2, could it be that they don't want or need the extra capability/complexity/size of the other models in the Land/Range Rover range but enjoy the ability it has to go where normal cars don't.
I notice that the car has "only driven on pavement", so why buy a Land Rover at all?

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Amen
Enjoy your traverse. Hope it makes it through the lease ��

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No sympathy on the engine? What about the rear dif failure and transmission problem? Or the broken lock or seat? Did you notice I said 55,000 miles? I bought it for use in deep snow, which we get a lot of. It was great in snow and got me to be able to say goodbye to my mother before she passed away (horrible snowstorm) and to the hospital for the birth of my daughter (another bad snowstorm).

Sorry, on the engine failure I've no sympathy. There is a dipstick prominently positioned under the hood that is used for checking the oil level between services. Some dealers even supply a small bottle of oil for topping up if the oil level drops. If the car had been properly maintained between services, and the oil level checked on a weekly basis as recommended in the owners manual, you'd have known that there is often a small amount of oil consumed during normal running.
As for why people buy the LR2, could it be that they don't want or need the extra capability/complexity/size of the other models in the Land/Range Rover range but enjoy the ability it has to go where normal cars don't.
I notice that the car has "only driven on pavement", so why buy a Land Rover at all?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Because it is the cheapest Land Rover. Why does anyone buy the low end model of any car?

Colin
It seems you are trying to diminish LR2 owners committment to the brand. I don't like spending half my life at gas stations so 22MPG was appealing. I had hoped to pass the car down to my teen daughter one day. We drive in urban areas periodically so its compact size was nice for parking. I find your comment to be belittling and if I read between the lines there is some kind of social status/economic assumption made. There are many very wealthy people who simply prefer a more modest vehicle. Your comment is akin to someone saying that men with expensive cars are compensating for other shortcomings.

· Registered
109 Posts
From a person that owns many different cars this is just ridiculous! Land Rovers are known to have problems yes we know that and sometimes buying these vehicles end up with us opening Pandora's box but in the end we still love and care for the vehicle (most people) and yes I understand that the LR2 isn't the top of the line model but again it's a Land Rover that goes through the same problems any other LR would have ! He could of bought a LR3 for the price he paid for the LR2 but think and take into consideration that the man could have a child or small family were he doesn't need all that space or it could just be him and his wife it would be stupid to get a LR3 when he just want a LR to have it really doesn't matter what model it is! Us as LR owners should respect and not degrade! A LR is an LR ! And yes you should have done all scheduled maintenance that is a fault on your end there is no sympathy for that one and on the tranny that is just and LR for you

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
I'd be happy if they gave 13k for a LR2 with a motor that was run with little to no oil. No offense but I have Land Rovers, a MGB and a Mercedes ML and I check the oil on all of them even if I don't see leaks. Hell the MB goes through 2-3 quarts a oil change and doesn't leak a drop.

If you don't check your vehicles vitals you stand to have problems that are self inflicted.

· Registered
16 Posts
I♥MyLR2;624993 said:
It seems you are trying to diminish LR2 owners committment to the brand. I don't like spending half my life at gas stations so 22MPG was appealing. I had hoped to pass the car down to my teen daughter one day. We drive in urban areas periodically so its compact size was nice for parking. I find your comment to be belittling and if I read between the lines there is some kind of social status/economic assumption made. There are many very wealthy people who simply prefer a more modest vehicle. Your comment is akin to someone saying that men with expensive cars are compensating for other shortcomings.
Sorry about your LR2. And I agree with you that some comments here seem belittling. We all have different lives and different stories. I bought my 2013 LR2 because the truck is not too over sized (me and 1 passenger), it suits my small family perfectly. The gas mileage is better. Also, I feel that the LR2 is more practical and easier to maintain and fix.

Look, we are all Landy owners here, there is no need to degrade other LR owners just because their cars are less expensive than yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.