Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

My name is Grant, I'm currently building a tiny house on the family farm in York PA, and doing online school for computer science.

I'm ready to get another car, I've always wanted a Rover and figured I'm ready to finally get a car I actually want! I have a crush on disco 2s. I've done hours of research and nothing has scared me off yet. I enjoy tinkering, modding, and maintaining my vehicles, especially if they reward me for it.

One thing I can't find the answer to is, how often are you actually having to work on your trucks? How bad are they really? Are they like my My current 98 s10 which has required over a thousand in parts, broke down many times and taken a lot of my weekends from me. All in the first year of ownership, only 7k miles. I'm keeping it, but don't feel like putting up with its sass everyday anymore.

Id be honored to join the Rover community finally! But am I going to regret getting a disco 2 with 100k plus miles? Should I get something with less character like a Toyota (;

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Land Rover
.. Free hobby with every purchase :)

· Registered
14 Posts
The biggest thing is maintain it. If you take care or her, she will take care of you but if you disregard one step of regular maintenance it will come back to haunt you and your bank account. My d2 has 163xxx and the only mechanical problems I have is misfires due to faulse information from the wheel sensors. What things you do have to replace will not be cheap but for the most part will last aslong as you do (accept for the water pump and paint) I would recommend it to anyone.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Soooo, I bought a Jeep.........

I was hit in my significant other's Liberty by a pizza boy the day before taking her out to get her dream car, a Wrangler TJ. They offered her peanuts for it so I bought it for a fair price to keep it out of their greedy hands.

So my new plan is flip this Liberty, then use that money to buy my dream Disco II.

I'll be rejoining you guys then!

· Registered
2 Posts
I owned a 04 Discovery II

If I may ask, what is your budget?

If you can afford even a 2005 lr3 (cheapest, but not as good as later year lr3's for reliability reasons)
do it. It would be a lot more reliable than a D2 I think.

I had a disco II for a year and a half, I have a massive stack of receipts for things I had to fix on it.
It's the most fun car I ever had and I loved it, so...they are rewarding. But very very unreliable.

Keep an eye out for a lot of coolant leaks, busted radiator overflow jug, occasional oil pan leak...
if you drive it overheating you'll blow a head gasket like me.

Best of luck!
-josh

· Registered
3 Posts
Disco 2

I an a Discovery 2 fan....I have 3 of them, a 2000 and a couple 01's
As the gentleman said prior in this thread..."take care of it and it will take care of you" My everyday driver has 170000 miles, 2' suspension, big wheel arch flares, pre runner style front bumper...not many left with origional front bumpers.
Seems everyone i have looked at has a trashed front bumper.
Be aware of head gasket problem...I just did mine 10000 miles ago, was not a big deal if your good around the engine. It's spendy $$ to have a shop do it.
Other than that i have not experienced any other major issues.
My other 2 Disco's....one has a bad head gasket and the other the trans is going bad. Going to swap engine and make one good runner. The Disco 2 bodys are awesome, i have 3 and no rust on any of them. Plus, if plan to wheel, they are a beast.
Price wise around here (Michigan) you can pick up a Discovery 2 1994-2004
for $1500-$3500 in good shape
B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.