Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Why would you want to disable one of the best features of your alarm system, or is it you don't know exactly what super lock does?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you want to disable one of the best features of your alarm system, or is it you don't know exactly what super lock does?
Tell me Mike, what has happened to countless owners who had a battery go flat while their truck was super locked?

And, I clearly know what super locking does if I quoted this article, just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The same thing will happen if you use your standard lock, with a dead battery you still can't unlock or start your truck so I guess, just let your battery go dead.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Unless super locked, you can unlock your door with the key, even with a dead battery.

Reactions: discovering

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Sometimes, though that is a good point. Never had an opportunity to try with a dead battery and unlock the door with a double click, same as when you super lock it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes, though that is a good point. Never had an opportunity to try with a dead battery and unlock the door with a double click, same as when you super lock it.
It's something of an open secret that if your battery goes flat while super locked, your sort of screwed. Even jumping the battery from the starter (+) terminal (since you're locked out and cannot open the hood) is 50:50.

There's threads all over all of the LR forums about it, sort of surprised this is news to you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hate for this to be one post that I agree with Mike, but when I had mine superlocked and the battery gave up, I started panicing... Stories of having to prise the hood open, break the grill, yank out a headlamp... Luckily a Dweb user pointed out the glaringly obvious that no-one else had thought of (or suggested). All need to do is crawl under, and ground a booster to the trans case, and the other to the starter terminal.

Had the wife push the kefob button - unlocked just fine...

One new battery later, I still have superlock and will probably not bother to disable it. I don't see why unless you have a battery that is well expired and are using just a little charger that can't overcome the internal resistance of the dead battery why this technique wouldn't work... Perhaps that is the 50:50? - 50% use a booster box or jumper cables, the other 50% use a small charger and expect miracles... ??? ... ????

The starter terminal is, after all, conected to the battery via a large cable - same as the ground strap? If you stick enough current on this, it'll power anything on the circuit - or is it some wierd-ass problem of the body controller deciding to not talk to the keyfob because the battery went flat???

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
This can go on and on but here is a simple idea, quit using super lock.
Dave, in the past I have also recommended to people, who can do what you described without burning up their truck, to do exactly what you have described.
Any way unless you live in a terrible area and are afraid your truck will be stolen, just don't use it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Huh - you know normally I do my research but 'super locking' got me cold there. I'm thinking "Run away screaming" beats "SOL from dead battery".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tell me Mike, what has happened to countless owners who had a battery go flat while their truck was super locked?

And, I clearly know what super locking does if I quoted this article, just sayin'.
Unfortunately, I experienced this and there is absolutely no way of getting in the vehicle if your battery is completely dead not even with the key.

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
You just responded to a 10 year old thread. With misinformation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts