Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am from Utah and currently driving through the South. I have been driving through both Arkansas and Tennessee today. I have been running my A/C on the freeway and then when I pull off an exit for fuel/food etc. my M and S light start to flash and I lose my D selector. What I think I have figured out is that the driver side a/c drain is coming down onto my position/XYZ switch giving me my problem. I think the extra humidity down here is causing my a/c to drench it.

I cannot see the drain hose on the driver side, I am looking for any kind of field help ideas? I was pulling out into traffic and it really caused a problem as the vehicle did not want to shift(went into limp mode). I got out on the freeway after that incident I stopped running the air conditioning which has solved the problem but I have another 1,400 miles to go as I make my way up to New England. I kind of need the a/c- especially as I am not used to this humid hot climate. Utah at 103 degrees feels better than Tennessee's 90 degrees.

Would it be ok to soak it with WD 40(would that help) Any ideas to deflect it away?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the a/c drain, might want to start with the basics and have your charging system tested at a local parts store, the voltage should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts and if not that can be your problem.
Yes, if the switch is damaged, you could try and clean it but not with WD40 but electrical contact cleaner.
By the way, do you have any fault codes showing up, if so what are they?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike, thanks for getting back.

The alternator is new, the battery is new. No check engine light has come on. I will go to a parts store and get the codes run.

I am about positive its the water pouring down on the switch as I have been driving the truck about 9 hours a day, this since Wednesday. Again, the issue stopped once I stopped using the a/c.

I will get the charging system checked just in case.

What could damage the switch?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found this on another land rover forum:

While working on the front prop shaft yesterday (other thread), I confirmed a theory about the XYZ switch (transmission control).

Back in the summer, I experienced a chronic problem with the M and S flashing, then weird shifting patterns with my 03 Discovery. So I checked here, determined I probably had a bad XYZ switch.

So I ordered a switch. When I went to replace it, I noticed the original switch was covered in water. This was summer and a hot sunny day. To me, without the car on a lift, it looked like condensation dripping from the A/C system getting on the XYZ switch.

Out of curiosity, I soaked the switch real good with WD40, let it sit awhile, then ran the shifter quickly back and forth from P to low D. That solved the problem (can't remember how I made the flashing lights go away- cleared with OBDII reader I think). I haven't had a moment's problem since and still have the brand new XYZ switch uninstalled in my spares box.

So yesterday, while on the lift, I verified that indeed, one of the drains for the A/C is above and close to the XYZ switch. No wonder I was having problems. Anybody else notice this design issue? Is my A/C drain missing a tube or extender to run the water toward the ground?

In the finest of British traditions of problem solving, I will install a little umbrella over my XYZ switch before summer! (Like the stuffed owl the Morgan factory put in the paint shop rafters to keep birds from nesting in there and messing up the paintwork).

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found this on a UK forum:

e selector cable not the XYZ switch. most of the problems with the switch were caused by water dripping from the A/C drain onto the switch so when you fit a new switch extend the drain tube past the XYZ switch, also check the grey connector I have seen corrosion in these.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could I swab some type of grease around it to protect it from moisture getting in?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
During the average wheeling season, I did monthly water crossing, sometime to the point of having water come over the hood. Yes my XYZ was wet and no, I have never had a wet related issue to the switch do to water.
If you look around you will find a number of people talking about rebuilding the switch and away they go.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that. My truck has done water crossings etc with never having problems. The trucks are designed for that. My concern is- my switch is getting old so perhaps its been compromised and allowing the moisture in somehow and i am looking for a field repair idea. I am about positive its a result of the moisture from the a/c. I have to be in Rhode Island by Thursday and so I do not have the time nor the money really to go to a dealer. I hope to arrive to my destination so I can order a part from Atlantic British etc. and put it in myself.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Your switch is getting old, the contact need to be cleaned like everybody else does and then get another 10 plus years out of it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The code says: low voltage to range selector. The battery tests very good, alternator is at 13.6 volts.
How do I go about cleaning the contacts?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
13.6 is hitting the bottom of the bucket and could be part of the issue, by the way, was that with the lights, radio and a/c on?
Go to the Land Rover Forum and do a search for others who have already done this.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok; will do.

The a/c was not running. DVD player running, cell phone charging- that's it. The travel trailer was hooked up.

Great, so much for my new alternator.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Is it a rebuilt, if so take it back then go buy a new Bosch, in the box, from British Parts of Utah.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, it is the Bosch from British Parts of Utah.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So, it is a new alternator.
I would go to a different store and have them test it to see what they show.
If it is still that low, and the battery is OK, then I would call BPoU and ask for some help.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mike. I was kind of thinking the same thing. Is the motor supposed to be revved a little when the voltage is being checked or is it just at idle?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too have read a lot about A/C draining onto th XYZ switch as where I live the A/C is on all the time.

So I blocked off the drain plug on what in my car is the passenger side, being right hand drive, resulting in all the water draining from the drivers side only and no issue with said switch.

Cheers Jerry

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, thanks. I have stopped using the a/c since I started this thread and the problem has stopped. I still have yet to have another store test the alternator though as it may still be a voltage issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts