Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the idle engine speed supposed to be? Mine fluctuates a lot, it feels like the car is going to stall, it shakes and studders, I had this problem for about a year now, it has stalled on me in traffic before I have no idea what is is.

My idle speed is in the middle of the thin line and the thick line on the rev counter. (The thick line being the one above the zero) The car has about 96k miles on it now, I ran fuel injector cleaner, and a oil additive to see if it would cure it. It didnt. When the tranny is in neutral or park the idle is on the thin line below 1k rpm. Some one told me to clean the stepper motor (I have no idea where it is or how to clean it. Any ideas? Help :bawling:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Militant-Grunt said:
What is the idle engine speed supposed to be? Mine fluctuates a lot, it feels like the car is going to stall, it shakes and studders, I had this problem for about a year now, it has stalled on me in traffic before I have no idea what is is.

My idle speed is in the middle of the thin line and the thick line on the rev counter. (The thick line being the one above the zero) The car has about 96k miles on it now, I ran fuel injector cleaner, and a oil additive to see if it would cure it. It didnt. When the tranny is in neutral or park the idle is on the thin line below 1k rpm. Some one told me to clean the stepper motor (I have no idea where it is or how to clean it. Any ideas? Help :bawling:

Cleaning the stepper motor did not help mine i had to replace it.
Your truck has 96K , better off replacing it, it is located on the intake plenum.

With the hood open facing the engine the plenum is the part that has the engine size on it 3.9, 4.0 etc.. the stepper motor is on the left rear of the
plenum .

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
The Stepper Motor or Idle Control Valve will cost $300+ if purchase from a LR dealer. You can pick up an aftermarket part for under $50 if you know what you're looking for. I just bought a Borg Warner P/N 21774 for my '99 Disco with the 4.0L and it cost me $34.99 at Pep Boys Autoparts. If you have the 3.9L go to this site and find the alternate part http://www.rangerovers.net/discoparts/

Hope this helps. :D

·
MG
771 Posts
The stepper motor shouldn't be screwed on too tightly, so most of the time you should be able to unscrew it with your hand (make sure to disconnect the wire harness first, though). The first time, it may be a bit stuck, so you may need a wrench.

To clean it, just unscrew it and wipe it down with a lint-free cloth (some folk use compressed air, too).

I've replaced mine with the AC Delco part - do a search on "stepper" or "idle air" here and check out the site that 9dawgs recommends, there's a ton of information.

Definitely sounds like that's the culprit, but there's some other causes, too. The idle air control valve is as good a place as any to start if you're not going to go for the expensive LR "genuine" replacement.

Good luck!

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Wow . the same problem the DSM ( Dimond Star Mottors , aka T.E.L. Talon Eclipse Laser ) comunity has . I had that problem in my Talon too .

I find it funny actualy . How two different cars will have the same problem and symptoms .

Oh and the price is the same too . It's anywhere from $260 and up . but rebuild ones go for $130

·
Registered
707 Posts
TsiArt said:
Wow . the same problem the DSM ( Dimond Star Mottors , aka T.E.L. Talon Eclipse Laser ) comunity has . I had that problem in my Talon too .

I find it funny actualy . How two different cars will have the same problem and symptoms .

Oh and the price is the same too . It's anywhere from $260 and up . but rebuild ones go for $130
Tis true i have replaced at least 5 on DSM's in the past

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
this part needs to replaced on alot of cars. i had to replace the one on my old Mark viii and just did the one on our escape.

I called the fod dealer and they wanted $500 to replace it on the escape. I asked what they were smoking becuase I got the part from them for $60 and it only took 2 mins to change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.