Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all..I have a 1989 Rover Classic.My situation is that I put the A/C on and come to a stop the idle cycles and the tach swings from 0-1000 and then settles after about 7 seconds.Scary.If the A/C is off the idle is fine.Now the funny part, I replaced the IAC and still the same.I reset the ECM by disconnecting the plug under the pass/seat for 15 min..Can someone please give me a heads-up on what I'm missing...On a side note how can I recharge my A/C(blowing very cool,not Cold).Thank you in advance...

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Your cool air issue sounds like it's time to do a 'top up'. Unless you have a vacuum pump and some mechanical experience you would be best served in have it done anywhere except at the dealers.

With regards to the idle problem, take a close look at the electricals. You could have a weak coil, bad wires or condenser. Perhaps points not set correctly or a high resistance short at the points or in the distributor cap. Perhaps a vacuum leak in the distributor diaphram.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I will try those options but the funny thing is that the idle is fine until it decelerates.I noticed that at night the lghts dim as the idle fluctuates. I replaced my alternator with an aftermarket "140 amp" alternator after my original died and wanted more power.I suspect that the alt is the culprit.Possibly my idle is too low(600rpm).The pulley looks alittle larger than the original.

T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.