Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to replace my Timing Cover gasket due to a coolant leak. While doing this I replaced the timing chain and gears, oil pump, oil press. sending unit and water pump, now occasionally, I get a oil light on the dash when at idle but light is off the rest of the time. I also put a new o-ring on the oil pick up tube before I reinstalled it. any help?

· Registered
87 Posts
Is this a high mileage vehicle? There are many things that could cause low oil pressure. Have you actually done an oil pressure test to make sure it's not just a faulty oil sending unit? When you had it apart, did you clean the screen on the oil pickup tube? How's the upper end look? Any sludge under the valve covers?

· Registered
380 Posts
When you dropped the oil pan did you torque the oil uptake tube? that's seems to be over looked sometimes. If you didn't replace you oil pressure switch it could be that also like mentioned above. Also, I wouldn't drive it with a flickering oil light, you could do extensive damage to the engine if its something failing.

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
What shape were your original oil pump gears? If you installed new gears incorrectly (did you note that there is a beveled side to the gears?) or torqued them down too much they could have cracked again.

Furthermore it could just be a faulty oil pressure sender. It's not uncommon.

Do an oil pressure test, (Cold 0 RPM, 2000 / Hot 0 RPM, 2000 RPM) And let us know the results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.